? about projection tv

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
shortstack
? about projection tv

i have a phillips 55" projection tv. The blue and the green are really fogy, it makes it hard to watch some dvd's. what could be the problem i have heard it might be the "guns" and if this is the problem how can i fix it????? thanks in advanced

Larry Dillon
If your a smoker, your

If your a smoker, your problem could be smoke and dirt on the lens and mirrors inside the set. This is something thats not really hard to do but you have to be carefull and never spray or apply any cleaner directly to the tubes or mirrors. Also alot of the mirrors have the silver coating on the surface, so dont use anything to strong. Always dilute the cleaner. And make sure the sets unplugged.  Another possibility could be that the tubes are weak or gassy. theres a piece of test equipment called a CRT Tester/Rejuvinator. A tech can look up you type of tubes in your set, adjust the equipment for those tubes, and clean off the gun(grid) of the tube. This does'nt always work and in some cases it makes the tubes worse or even kills it, so that  should be done as a last resort. Now, on an older type maggie set, theres a silicon spacer that gets foggy after many years of heat and service, and has to be replaced. This spacer is in between the picture tube and the lens. If your set is that old, its time to go see all the cool and neat new things to watch now adays. Before you do go shopping for a new set. read this article  http://www.techlore.com/article/10884/. It has alot of cool info in it. Also look under the featured articles for alot more neat things to look at and read. In the meantime, if your not comfortable messing with a tv set , call out a pro to assist you. And Good Luck

Guest (not verified)
The problem I've found with

The problem I've found with big screens is the coolant inside the tube gets dirty. Not sure how this happens maybe techman knows, he has more knowledge than me. I helped take apart these tubes with a tech and replace the coolant.

Larry Dillon
Thats true about the coolent

Thats true about the coolent Brian. The coolent does get foggy and dirty but most of the time it leaks out and causes distortion on the surface between the tube and the lens assy. If this happens you have to make sure you clean offf the Printed circuit boards under the tubes with a non lubercant degreaser.   Also at MCM electronics they sell the coolent kits for these older sets.  Thanks for the correction my friend, as I was thinking about the coolent problem i left out of the answer i posted.  Laughing

shortstack
i have cleaned the lens,

i have cleaned the lens, focused it with the focus block assebly and focused the lens also. not a smoker either lol

shortstack
well it helped a little, but

well it helped a little, but when ajusting it with the video test patterns i could hardly see the green and the blue. is there kit i could use or try to at least help with it??? i found out how to focus and clean it from fixyourowntv.com btw thanks for your guys help.

Larry Dillon
your gonna have to see if a

your gonna have to see if a rejuvenater will help im thinking now.

shortstack
that sound like it would cost

that sound like it would cost quite a bit. i could get a new projection tv for 1,000 thatshdtv. how much would the new guns cost around?

thanks for help.

twincutter
No my friend it wouldnt pay

No my friend it wouldnt pay for new tubes as where talking about 800.00 to 900.00 for the tubes and then another 200 to 300 for labor. But I suggest as Techman said ask a local tv shop what they would charge for a picture tube test and rejuvenation and minor adjustment. Anything more tham that would be a waist of money. Good Luck

Connect With Techlore