Video projector displays in black and white

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
dsamms
Video projector displays in black and white

I have been connecting my laptop to a video projector for presentations.  I worked fine until a few months ago when the video display turned to Black & white--no color.  (I still have color on my notebook monitor)  I have tried everything I know to fix the problem.  New cable, changing resolution, tried a different projector--all with same results.  When I connect via a VGA port, the color shows up on the projector display.  The laptop has been returned to the manufacturer twice for replacement of the system board (which includes the s-video port), but the problem is not resolved.  Any idea?

Matt Whitlock
If you normally connect the

If you normally connect the projector via S-video, your cable may have gone bad. Try using a new S-Video cable. If your color returns, there was your problem.

dsamms
I've already tried a new s

I've already tried a new s-video cable with the same result.

Matt Whitlock
What happens when you wiggle

What happens when you wiggle the cable at either end? Does the color flicker on and off?

dsamms
No, it stays B&W. I've tried

No, it stays B&W. I've tried "blowing-out" the connections with air, spraying that stuff that's supposed to help with the connection, etc.

dsamms
I've had 2 extensive sessions

I've had 2 extensive sessions with Dell tech "support" (one online, one on the phone) discussing all the things to try. Both sessions ended with their saying my s-video port was bad, and I would have to send it back for replacement.

Matt Whitlock
That's my thought as well.

That's my thought as well. Which is why I asked you to wiggle the S-video cable. If the color flickered in and out, then it there would be a short or problem with the S-video jack. However, I'm not totally convinced it's the output on your notebook. Have you tried testing the S input on your projector by plugging something else into it, like a DVD player or set-top box?

dsamms
Yes, I have the same result

Yes, I have the same result when I plug in to a TV.

Connect With Techlore