Philips 30" HTDV Flat Tube with slanted white lines

2 posts / 0 new
Last post
jayjay06
Philips 30" HTDV Flat Tube with slanted white lines

My Philips HDTV (model 30PW850H37A) is about 2.5 years old. Just out of the warranty period of course and just today I started getting these white slanted lines. The lines are almost horizontal (only slightly slanted maybe 10 degrees). If I only have the TV on and nothing else, these line are shown while the screen is black (before it switches to blue). They are about an inch apart running the full width and height of the screen. I've also noticed that when the screen should be black it is more of a dark grey now instead of black.

When I have the cable box or dvd on, I will see these lines on the darker parts of the picture. See my little sideways diagram below.

Any ideas. I'd hate to waste my time hauling this into a service center to find out it'd be cheaper to buy a new one.

Thanks for your help,

Jason

Right Side
------------------------
|\ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ |
| \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \|
|\ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ |
| \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \|
|\ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ |
| \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \|
|\ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ |
| \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \|
|\ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ | Bottom of Screen
| \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \|
|\ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ |
| \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \|
|\ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ |
| \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \|
|\ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ |
| \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \|
|\ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ |
| \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \|
------------------------
Left Side

Bernard
Hi jayjay

Hi jayjay

Relatively speaking this should be a simple fault. The question as whether to replace or repair depends on what you would have to pay to service it and the price of a new set.

The best option would be to get a quote, some dealers will charge for such but normally will take this off the bill should you have the set repaired.

The lines you describe are flybck lines....there are many causes unfortunately....from a simple resistor being open circuit to an IC being faulty.

Just one thought comes to mind...has the set made any loud cracking noises...like static discharge?

If so then the tube is probably faulty in which case it would be cheaper to have a new set even though the repair would be relatively cheaper than a new set but the fault could reoccur because they would not know that the tube was faulty. A replacement tube these days can be more than the set is worth.

If there were not any cracking noises then certainly get a quote.

Bernard

Connect With Techlore