How do I hook up a passive sub w/small sats?

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
Mike14k7
How do I hook up a passive sub w/small sats?

I just ordered an Onkyo TX-SR503 7.1 ch. A/V receiver, and as I wait for it's arrival, I'm wondering how to hook up my temporary speaker set-up (2 small Bose satellites and a passive, unpowered Bose sub) to get the best perfomance out of them until I go out and buy a good 5.1 or 7.1 speaker package.

I read a small artilce about how to do this, but it didn't go into much detail, as far as receiver settings and wire hook ups. Being a total Home Theatre Noob, I'm assuming I wire the sats into the sub, and go from the sub to the receiver, but will I be able to get "simulated 5.1 surround sound", or will it only run in stereo? Any thoughts or input would be appreciated.

Secondly, does anyone have any recommendations for great sounding speakers that are small enough to get a wife endorsement?

Thanks

Matt Whitlock
I wrote an entire article

I wrote an entire article about how to properly configure a receiver for a passive subwoofer. It goes along with my other article about bass management, so you may need to read both in order to really get it. Here are some links:

The 'Bassics' of Bass Management

Configuring Your Receiver for a Passive Subwoofer

Your thoughts on how to connect your passive sub and sats is correct, and simulated surround options are based on the features your receiver provides. If your new Onkyo gives you DSP options, you can simulate surround through 2 speakers and a passive sub. Your results will vary depending on the shape of the room, and your relation to the speakers.

As far as speaker recommendations go, how small do you need them to be? What's your budget?

Mike14k7
Thank you Matt! I read your

Thank you Matt! I read your articles, and now I think I've got it.

As far budget for speakers, I'm willing to spend about $1,000 on a decent set of suround speakers, my only problem is, they can't be huge. I like what I've seen from Definitive Technology, such as the Mythos series, but they are a tad too spendy. I'd like to find something simmilar in size to those, though.

Matt Whitlock
At around 1000 dollars, you

At around 1000 dollars, you may need to make some sacrifices, good bass being the most common. Do you know the dimensions of the room you're going to be putting the system in? Is it entirely enclosed, or is it wide open to other rooms?

Mike14k7
The room is only about 16' X

The room is only about 16' X 13' X 8'h and it opens into other rooms on two sides opposite from each other, but the openings to the other rooms are about the size of normal doorways.

Matt Whitlock
A good 8" or 10" sub should

A good 8" or 10" sub should be able to handle that area without much problem, just pay attention to where you put the sub.

The Mythos from Definitive are a bit on the pricey side, but the ProMonitor 80 system, with a ProCenter100 and either the ProSub 80 or ProSub 100 should be in the ball park and offer good performance.

I'd also take a listen to the Klipsh Reference Series Cinema 6 or 8 System, the Miller and Kreisel K series, and the Energy Take Series.

There's tons of great speaker options in your price range, but the one's I've listed here are all great performers. Personally, I'm a huge fan of M&K speakers, which is what I use personally, but everyone has different ears. Go out and listen to all kinds of speakers with your own music, and pick the ones that sound good to you.

Mike14k7
Thank you for your input,

Thank you for your input, Matt I really appreciate it. I'll send you an update when I decide on spekers.

BTW, my Onkyo 503 arrived, and I hooked it up with no problems. Even with my cheesy Bose 2.1 set-up, that receiver sounds sweet! Thanks again.

Connect With Techlore