do i need a second isp?

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
charko
do i need a second isp?

Hi: am runing windows xp on my lap top. Have bring your own acess to aol broadband on my desktop. Am thinking of getting a Linsky/MINO router to extend the range of wireless signal so I can work from home. Do I have to sign up with a wireless ISP? (area code for laptop is 954 in florida. I am only in florida for 4 months of the year. Suggestions please
Thanks

Matt Whitlock
I'm sorry, I'm having

I'm sorry, I'm having difficulty understanding your post. Specifically the comment, "Have bring your own acess to aol broadband on my desktop" is beyond me. Can you reword for clarity?

charko
I have Verizon Broadband on

I have Verizon Broadband on my desk top computer with what AOL calls bring your own isp to acess AOL. I want to use either wireless or Broadband on my lap top to acess aol while in Florida. There is a wireless ISP 2 miles from my house,but they claim that the signal is only 700 feet, so I am thinking of buying a long range router to extend the signal or am I better off looking for a broadband isp while in florida? AOL claims that I will NOT need a second account while in florida if I want to use dial up which I don't

Matt Whitlock
I don't think the Wireless

I don't think the Wireless ISP is the same thing you think it is. Do you have the name of the provider?

charko
Boingo.Its about 2 miles from

Boingo.Its about 2 miles from my apt. If not wireless what would you suggest I get or look for?

Matt Whitlock
Boingo is a hotspot service,

Boingo is a hotspot service, not an ISP.

I think your best bet would be to try and get a deal on a low speed DSL connection, or a basic broadband cable package. If you currently have a phone line installed there, DSL is probably your most cost effective solution. If not, cable providers will sell you Internet access by itself. Check the local phone and cable providers for info and pricing. Just make sure that whatever you get is on a month to month basis so you can shut the service down the 8 months a year you're not there.

charko
Many thanks, now I know what

Many thanks, now I know what to look for.
Appreciate you taking the time to assist me in this

Connect With Techlore