WON'T TURN ON MANUAL OR REMOTE

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
Dal7575
WON'T TURN ON MANUAL OR REMOTE

I have an older, 18 yrs, RCA ColorTrak. It was working fine last night, today, only get a clicking sound when I try to power unit up. Removed the back panel and blew out 18 yrs of dust and tested power function. Operated fine until I replaced back panel. Went into it again, repeated the process, worked until panel was replaced and TV was moved back into position. Repeated the process again, now nothing but the original clicking sound. I can't isolate which component is generating the clicking. I know some do not advocate repairs on this old of a set, but all was fine until no power. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Dal7575

Philipstv
Hoping to piggyback here. I

Hoping to piggyback here. I have a Philips 36pt71b that was also working fine. Tried to turn it off, both via remote and manually with no response. Had to unplug the tv. Now it won't turn back on. Now when I unplug it I can hear the sound of speakers going off (you know, the little "poof")so I'm assuming there is power getting to the tv. That being said, turning up the volume doesn't render any sound and there is no video signal at all. Thanks for your help!

Copperpen
Has an answer been found. I

Has an answer been found. I have a Toshiba that is clicking for longer and longer before it finally turns on.

Larry Dillon
Dal7575,  Your old RCA color

Dal7575,  Your old RCA color Trac set has or should have a vertical stand up type chassis?? Im a correct??.. If it does most of those problems are on the plug in module connections on the back of the chassis, on the printed circuit board and also on the modules them selfs.  IF you have no TV experience, theres really nothing you should attempt to repair here, as this is not a kids toy to experiment with.  If you know the HI voltage saftey issues, then each module must or should be taken out before you resolder the rear connection as it could melt the molex plastic socket.  Then resolder the connections on the rear of the module and clean the metal connections with some contact cleaner and reinstall onto the main P.C. Board.  You should do one module at a time, as you don,t want to forget where they go and what modules you already did.  Look at all the othert connections on the main board and resolder anything thats not shiny or looks llike there's a crack around it.  After all this, if theres no improvement, then theres a problem with one of the module, and the only place i know of who will repair or exchange an old module such as these, is PTS electronics.  They are at http://wwwptscorp.com  If you have any questions about the modules , get their toll free number from the web site and give them a call.  Most folks would not invest in an 18 year old set . But to each his own!  Good Luck and please if any more Questions please feel free and let us know how you made out.

Larry Dillon
Now to copperpin,  Your

Now to copperpin,  Your Toshiba set has what is called a main power supply regulator IC, that goes bad all the time. It will be marked with an STR-###-##. The # will be numbers.  Also in the standby power supply, in a relay driver power supply that a capacitor gets leaky and make the relay chatter or go on and off for a time. Eventually, it will not turn on at all.  Again I have to stress, These sets is not a place to be experimenting with and please if your not aware  of the dangers and the safety issues involved, please seek out A PRO TECH TO ASSIST YOU WITH THIS REPAIR, and also read this.   http://www.techlore.com/article/14476/  Good Luck and  please get back with us, as your findings may assist someone else.

Copperpen
Thank you Larry. I work with

Thank you Larry. I work with computers so am aware of the problems repairing them. I had assumed that there would be a similar problem inside a TV. (yes I know what happens when you assume)... Since the TV is heavy I wanted to find out all the information I could before I take it out of the cabinet.

Larry Dillon
Copper what is the model # I

Copper what is the model # I have several manuals here maybe I can get you the part #s or location #s of what to check or e-mail you a schematic.

Copperpen
Larry The model number is

Larry The model number is 27A62. Thanks for taking your time to help

Larry Dillon
Oh man I dont have any 27

Oh man I dont have any 27 inch Toshibas .. You can maybe get one here at http://www.servicemanuals.net/ sorry

Consie
I have a Sylvania plasma

I have a Sylvania plasma monitor that is less than a year old.  A couple months ago it cut off in the middle of a show.  But I was able to turn it back on.  It did that a couple more times over the past months, but always came back on.  It shut off on Sunday and hasn't worked since.  It will start to turn on, meaning that the light goes from red to green, but then shuts back off within seconds.  Any suggestions?

Solomon
Copperpen said: Thank you

Copperpen said: Thank you Larry. I work with computers so am aware of the problems repairing them. I had assumed that there would be a similar problem inside a TV. (yes I know what happens when you assume)... Since the TV is heavy I wanted to find out all the information I could before I take it out of the cabinet.

Did you ever find the solution? I have a 27A62 exhibiting the same problems.

I have the main board out and can take pictures if anyone wants to help. 

Connect With Techlore