can view video on laptop but it won't save

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
violet639
can view video on laptop but it won't save

I have a Sony Digital 8 Handycam. The film cassette it uses is JVC Hi8 Video Cassette. I can stream, then view the video on my laptop but I cannot seem to save it there as a file.
To look at whatever I have videotaped, I:
-set the Handycam to Play/Edit mode
-make sure that the handycam is set to USB stream
-connect the USB cable to the handycam first, then to the laptop's USB port
-after doing these steps, I go to my laptop's Start menu and select USB Streaming Tool

These steps let me watch on my laptop's screen whatever is recorded on the tape in the handycam. The problem is, I can't seem to save the video onto the hard drive of my laptop. I want to save the contents of the tape as a file on my laptop. The installation of Picture Package created a file in My Documents called
My Pictures, but this folder always stays empty no matter how many times I stream the video from the handycam to my laptop. Can anyone help with this? Thanks.

violet639
Oh, by the way, I have

Oh, by the way, I have Windows XP on my laptop.

Matt Whitlock
You'll need a video capture

You'll need a video capture/editing program to actually save the video vile on your PC. Windows XP has a built in program called Windows Movie maker that may work. You should be able to find it in the Accessories --> Entertainment section of your start menu.

Give that a go and post back.

hutchep1
Pinnacle Systems has a good

Pinnacle Systems has a good capture device called Dazzle digital video creator,and it is pretty easy to use.   The only problem I have had is burning to a DVD after I capture to my hard drive, but the dazzle capture device does what it is supposed to do.

Connect With Techlore