Toshiba hdd/dvd recorder model RD-XS32SU disk problems

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
Franklh
Toshiba hdd/dvd recorder model RD-XS32SU disk problems

I have just started using this unit 3 wks ago . I bought it Feb 05, & just installed it. it will play dvd movies & cd music, & dvd-raqm in a holder fine. It will not read dvd-r,dvd-rw,dvd-ram disks blanks or dvd-ram disks recorder in a holder when loaded in the tray. Toshiba has been no help except to tell me to pay $150.00 + my shipping costs & ship it to Mass. for their depot repair. All of the authorized repair centers tell me they are restricted on repairing these units by Toshiba & can not order parts, & have to ship them to depot repair as well. This is a currently produced item & still sells for $400.00 +tax if you can find a dealer who sells them. now I know why very few dealers handle them. I would like to be able to record to dvd-r to be able to view them on my & my wifes laptop. Any help would be very much appreciated. Email address is [email protected] & phone# 937-443-0840.

Ron Repking (not verified)
Can we assume that you tried

Can we assume that you tried at least 2 varieties of DVD-R media and neither worked? It sounds like you may have no other option but pay the $150 or buy a new one.

Franklh
Yes. I tried a generic brand

Yes. I tried a generic brand & the tested brand that Toshiba had listed in there book as being tested & work. Strange thou I found a dealer of parts in florida with a large supply of inventory fot this model recorder when Toshiba said there authorized repair centers could not repair this model and had to be shipped to there depot. Now If I could just find a reputable repair center shop that works on hd/dvd recorders like this & do a decent repair without charging a arm & a leg & the first born child, I would be in business. I really believe it to be a software glitch as I know Tivo's use linux software to control the inner functions of there units & this unit must have some sort of operating system to control the hard drive & recording system. Thanks for the return response Ron. Frank

jrscpu
Hello,

Hello,

I just picked-up one of these Toshiba RD-XS32SU

from an E-bay powerseller who deals in mostly store

returns. He sent me one that "Looked" new but in fact

was unable to record ANY DVD's. I searched other forums

and saw that this model has problems with it's DVD

recorder and needs replacement. Toshiba parts vendors

want $380 just for the DVD Burner. It's just like the ones

inside a  computer but a lot models will cause an Error

message. I saw that forums stated there was a  certain

Lite-On model, but I couldn't find it in searches. I did

try a I/O Magic Light Scrbe Model # IDVD16DLS (16x)

that works PERFECTLY!! It can be found at most Staples

stores for about $70!  One draw back is if you plan to

use DVD-RAM discs, that it doesn't do, but it perfectly

burns all DVD-R's and that's a plus!

Larry Dillon
Great information there

Great information there jrscpu! Its folks like you take makes techlore.com so great!

the old goat
jrscpu said: Hello,  I just

jrscpu said: Hello,  I just picked-up one of these Toshiba RD-XS32SU from an E-bay powerseller who deals in mostly store returns. He sent me one that "Looked" new but in fact was unable to record ANY DVD's. I searched other forums and saw that this model has problems with it's DVD recorder and needs replacement. Toshiba parts vendors want $380 just for the DVD Burner. It's just like the ones inside a  computer but a lot models will cause an Error message. I saw that forums stated there was a  certain Lite-On model, but I couldn't find it in searches. I did try a I/O Magic Light Scrbe Model # IDVD16DLS (16x) that works PERFECTLY!! It can be found at most Staples stores for about $70!  One draw back is if you plan to use DVD-RAM discs, that it doesn't do, but it perfectly burns all DVD-R's and that's a plus!  

My daughter gave me a RD-XS32SU that quit working.  I changed the HD but that doesn't help.  I get a Error 7061.  When I 1st started playing with it, I got it to play a store bought disk, now it won't open/close.

Any ideas??????

theoldgoat

a.d.
Hi I also have a Toshiba RD

Hi I also have a Toshiba RD-XS32SU with an "ERROR 7061" anyone know whats going on with this and how to fix it? Thanks

TOSHIBA
I HAVE THE RD-X2 AND THE RD

I HAVE THE RD-X2 AND THE RD-XS35SU AND THESE UNITS WERE GREAT WHEN NEW BUT MY RD-X2 IS DIRTY AND NEEDS CLEANING INSIDE.THE RD-XS35SU WORKED GREAT UNTIL DVD DOOR
WOULD NOT OPEN TO REMOVE DISC.TOSHIBA USED TO MAKE PERFECT PRODUCTS BUT NOW,THEIR PRODUCTS SUCK AND THEIR CUSTOMER SERVICE IS NO HELP FOR SERVICE OR PARTS OR REPAIRS.THEY SHOULD BE REPORTED TO SOME CONSUMER AGENCY AS THEY HAVE FELL OFF THE WAGON.

TOSHIBA
You are 100% right,I have the

You are 100% right,I have the old rdx-2 with no dvd function but hard drive still
records.I also bought the RD-XS35SU and dvd door will not open due due broken belt on door drive.I think the dvd is enclosed and would have to be removed to replace broken belt.I know if I could get to the drive,I would use a rubber band as I did with another brand.TOSHIBA USED TO BE GREAT,BUT THIER PRODUCTS SUCK NOW !!! SOMEONE SHOULD INITIATE A CLASS ACTION LAW SUIT AGAINST THEM.

Connect With Techlore