Another DVD player...samsung...sound, no pic

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
Sushigirl
Another DVD player...samsung...sound, no pic

As mentioned, I have another DVD as listed above. Last night it just suddenly weirded out on me. There is no picture but sound.
Plaese hlp again!
Thanks,
Sushigirl

Matt Whitlock
Rather than advise you to

Rather than advise you to perform basic troubleshooting steps, can you tell us what you've already checked?

Sushigirl
Sorry...kids were acting up

Sorry...kids were acting up at that time & I had to go...
I can't find the manual for this one either...someone else lost that one...
I've checked all the connections (going as far as unplugging and putting them back) and fiddled with the remote. I've also tried several diferent discs. Basically everything I can think of short of whacking it with a hammer. The machine is only about 1 1/2 yrs old.

Matt Whitlock
While the hammer may provide

While the hammer may provide some level of instant gratification, it probably won't get it working :-)

When I troubleshoot stuff, I like to remove all the variables, and test one thing at a time. In your case, there are three major variables: The player, the cables, and the TV.

First, I recommend troubleshooting on an entirely different TV. Hook it up to some other set in the house and test.

Second, use an entirely different set of cables, and/or use a different type of cable. If you're using S-video, then try composite, etc.

If still no luck, check the back of the player for any switches that may affect the video output. I've seen many players that have a physical switch for the composite/s-video, and component output.

If it still doesn't work after all of this... then you bring out the hammer. At least you'll release a bit of stress.

Keep us informed on your progress. If you do end up taking out your frustrations on the machine, we'd love to see pictures of the aftermath!

Sushigirl
Hey!Well, been there, done

Hey!
Well, been there, done that and no go.
AArgh! It's a Samsung, for crying out loud, and it is about 1/2 yr past the warranty, natch.
I could use it as a CD player if it didn't have to be hooked up to a TV.
Thanks anyway!
Sushigirl

Connect With Techlore