Canon A70: Bright areas appear magenta

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
Billy Jay
Canon A70: Bright areas appear magenta

On outdoor shots, the brightest areas (such as beach sand, or white ocean foam) appear a solid magenta color. Pictures indoors or in shaded light appear normal. Any ideas?

jeepman
This could be a chromatic

This could be a chromatic aberation effect (light refraction through the lense, if you were shooting a subject with a strong backlight/sidelight such as a setting sun low on the horizon. If it happens on all of your outdoor shots in more normal light situations and since it does not occur indoors another possibility is a problem with your white balance. There is a very thorough camera review at which offer up some ideas. http://www.dpreview.com/reviews

Billy Jay
I have since discovered that

I have since discovered that after manually setting the white balance on a sheet of paper outdoors, the problem goes away. But upon powering up the camera again, the white balance setting is lost, so this is not a very satisfactory work-around.

jeepman
At least you know what the

At least you know what the problem is now. I would check your manual to ensure that you are saving your white balance setting properly or alternatively save this white balance setting as a part of a "favourite setting", if your camera has this feature which I am sure it will. At least his way it will be easier to access. I don't know your camera well enough to be of any further help.

Connect With Techlore