sony KV-20S10 is having tuner probs ? HELP!

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
mizlizzie
sony KV-20S10 is having tuner probs ? HELP!

hi all,
wondering if any of you know a bit about this model. it all of the sudden seems to lose it's cable connection and if i jiggle the cable a bit, sometimes it brings back the connection. i am going to take it to a repair shop but am worried about getting screwed over. does anyone know what might be wrong and if so....how much should i expect to pay to repair this problem ?

thanks in advance!!!!

Matt Whitlock
Before you take it to the

Before you take it to the shop, I'd try replacing the coax cable just in case it's a bad wire.

If a new cable doesn't do it, the coaxial jack on the TV may need to be resoldered or replaced. A repair of this nature shouldn't cost a fortune.

mizlizzie
hey matt,thanks so much for

hey matt,
thanks so much for your speedy reply. excuse my ignorance but is the coax cable the one that plugs into the back of the set ? if so, we tried that and it didn't make a difference. it seems to be "inside" the set. when i called sony, they said it sounded like a tuner problem.

mizlizzie
is tuner just a broad term ?

is tuner just a broad term ? anyway, if you have a chance to get back to me , great! but if not, thanks so much for giving me a heads up. i really appreciate it as i am a babe in the woods when it comes to electronics of any kind.

Matt Whitlock
The term "tuner" is often

The term "tuner" is often generically used, but it actually is a specific component of the TV. Whether or not the problem is with the tuner, or just the RF connector that connects the coax cable to the tuner, will ultimately dicate how much this will cost to fix. It sounds like you tried replacing the right cable, so the shop is the next logical step.

Hopefully, it's just a quick solder job that won't cost that much. If the tuner needs replacement, it will cost more to fix. Check out the article How to Determine if you Should Repair a Broken Device for some tips on how much is too much.

Best of luck to you.

mizlizzie
you rock, mr. matt whitlock!

you rock, mr. matt whitlock! thanks for your time and your help. i called a place that said they would do the estimate free so i might run the estimate by you guys when i find out what it will cost.

cheers,
liz

Guest (not verified)
A repair like this should be

A repair like this should be $45-50, it takes about 1hr to do.

Connect With Techlore