TV plays DVD movies in black and white only

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
flip1921
TV plays DVD movies in black and white only

When I play a DVD on my 3-month old Magnavox VHS/DVD player, the picture on the Phillips TV is only in Black and White. If I play a VHS movie there is full color. I do not have an S-video connection on the TV and can use only RCA connections. The Magnavox replaced a Sylvania VHS/DVD player which was doing the same. The Magnavox has played for 3-months fine then started black and white. I originally suspected the TV connection was bad; however if that was the case wouldn't the VHS movie play only in Black and White? I have double checked the connections and they are snug. I have unplugged the power on the players and the TV and still no color. The DVD player on both the Magnavox and Sylvania have been cleaned.

Matt Whitlock
A few quick questions, Does

A few quick questions,

Does this occur with all DVD movies, or only a few?

Can you tell us every connection going from your DVD/VCR to the TV? Where on the TV do these connections plug in to?

Have you accidentally plugged your yellow composite video cable into the (Y) on the component video output on the back of the DVD player?

flip1921
All DVD's will play only in B

All DVD's will play only in B&W.
I have the Yellow RCA video wire connected to the VHS/DVD viddeo out and on the TV the connection is on the Video in plug.
The Audio cables are plugged into the appropiate audio in connections on my audio system whihc plays fine-no problems with sound.

jolie
Flip the solution is

Flip the solution is simple
Your Philips TV either supports NTSC Format or PAL Format
Change the setting of the DVD player to PAL or NTSC and try

MAKE SURE AND FIND WHAT Your TV Supports
NTSC or PAL Sytem
If TV is PAL Sytem=DVD Players setting SHOULD BE PAL System
If TV is NTSC Sytem=DVD Players setting SHOULD BE NTSC System
i HOPE IT HELPS
BYE

flip1921
One problem with NTSC OR PAL;

One problem with NTSC OR PAL; where do I find the setting? I had previously looked in the menu for those settings and do not find them. Is there a switch to set physically?
Thanks for all the help!
Flip

Connect With Techlore