Best Graphics card

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
Xantex Hunter
Best Graphics card

Hey, i just got World of Warcraft, and its a great game. But it runs slow on my computer. I currently have a Intel Extreme Graphics 2 card (sucks). Does anyone know of a good graphics card that could run WoW real good?

(im thinking Nvidia?)

Matt Whitlock
Intel Extreme Graphics is

Intel Extreme Graphics is another way of saying "built in graphics capable of rendering the desktop", and is about as extreme as Fred Rogers drinking Dr. Pepper. Actually, IEG2 isn't even a card. It's integrated directly to the motherboard.

WoW is about two years old, and there are many cards capable of rendering it well. Before you choose a card, you may need to do a little more investigating on your PC. More specifically, you'll need to know if your PC uses PCI-Express or the older AGP slot for the board, and you'll need to make sure your computer's power supply can handle the additional load. You'll also need to figure out what your budget is. Can you provide some specs on your PC and your estimated budget for your new graphics card? Are you going to be able to install this yourself?

Xantex Hunter
Thx for the advice.I have a

Thx for the advice.

I have a pci slot, i have enough power. i'm on the budget of 150-200 dollars. And here are some specs I found out about my computer:

Capable with direct x 9
Can use pixleshading
Windows XP Service Pack 2
350 watt power supply
a 2nd internal hard drive(150gb)

can you recommend me something?

Matt Whitlock
PCI-Express and PCI slots are

PCI-Express and PCI slots are not the same thing. Just to be super specific, it has an open PCI slot or an open PCI-Express x16 slot? PCI express slots will be on newer PCs (within the last year or so). AGP will be common for most current gen budget boxes, and anything more than year old or so.

If you do have PCI-Express, in your price range I'd recommend the nVidia GeForce 6800GS or the ATI X1600XT. Both are fantastic options. The GeForce 6800GS probably has the edge in games, but the X1600 will have an edge in video if you use the latest drivers for the Avivo feature. If World of Warcraft is your main concern, the 6800GS is probably the way to go. Expect a more than dramatic difference. You should be safe with a 350watt PSU with either choice.

If you're stuck with AGP - You'll have slimmer pickings. The nVidia GeForce 6600GT is about the best you can get. It'll still rock and roll on WoW.

If you truly only have a lowly PCI slot, you won't really have many choices. The most up to date cards I could find were the nVidia GeForce FX5200 or the Radeon 9200/9250. What's funny, they'll still be a big improvement over the integrated graphics, but it won't be as spectacular as the newer cards with the better interfaces.

Xantex Hunter
Thanks alot matt, i have PCI

Thanks alot matt, i have PCI-Express, so i'm gonna get that 6800. thanks again =)

Connect With Techlore