Ever tried to change your DVD player startup image?

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
es75
Ever tried to change your DVD player startup image?

I just bought a Panasonic DVD F86 five-disc DVD player. It displays the standard blue/black DVD Rom logo on the monitor when the discs are being changed (and when playback is stopped, etc.).

Does anyone know if/how I can change this image? It sounds finnicky, I know, but I would prefer it to be just black (no logo) for this multi-disc presentation I'm putting together.

Any suggestions appreciated!

Matt Whitlock
I've only seen a handful of

I've only seen a handful of models that let you disable player graphics if provided, and I don't think the F86 is one of them. I double checked your manual, and there isn't an option.

The only two suggestion I have is finding a different player for your presentation, or ripping and burning your presentation to one disc if it will fit on one DVD?

Good luck!

es75
thank, Matt. It's an 8 hour

thank, Matt. It's an 8 hour project! And I definitely need the resolution, so minimum 4 DVDs I'm afraid.

I think the solution may lie in the projector - a friend suggested finding a projector that will cut to black when it isn't receiving a signal (ie. when changing discs). We'll see.

But thanks for your suggestions,
Erin

Matt Whitlock
It's a creative thought, but

It's a creative thought, but all DVD players I've encountered don't turn off the video output when changing discs. Instead they display a solid color background or a graphic image. If you want to find a hardware solution, what you really need to do is find a player that puts up a solid black screen when changing discs.

However, I still believe there is a software solution. You can easily fit 8 hours of video at DVD resolution on one disc. How you ask? Thanks to the magic of higher efficiency video encoders like MP4, WMV, and Divx! I know for a fact that I can compress 2 hours of video using Divx to around 900MB to 1GB (at full DVD resolution), and get roughly the same quality as a DVD (it's really close). You should be able to fit 8 hours on one 4.7GB blank DVD, but if not, it will definitely fit on a dual-layer DVD. Then, your only trick is to find a player that plays back Divx discs. Or, just connect a laptop to the projector and use that as your player. :-)

es75
wow, 8 hours on one DVD? I

wow, 8 hours on one DVD? I had never imagined it possible. I'm working with high file size animation files (85 GB each hour) and reducing them to 1.7 GB as MPG2s/hour. So only 2 hours per DVD.
I work on a Mac in Final Cut and After Effects - not sure if WMV and Divx are compatible w/Macs? Anyhow, food for thought - maybe I'll try some different codecs and see if it can fit on one or two.
thanks, Matt!
Erin

Connect With Techlore