Magnavox T.V. shuts off after 5 seconds

17 posts / 0 new
Last post
Tayelor
Magnavox T.V. shuts off after 5 seconds

I have a Magnavox TV/VCR/DVD combo. 5 seconds after i turn the t.v. on it shuts off. For the 5 seconds while it is running it works perfect. I think it might be the filter capacitor but i don't have a clue. Please help me...

gagey
mine has the same problem,

mine has the same problem, did you get yours fixed, if so how? write back plz

flconchshl
I am having the same problem

I am having the same problem with my emerson combo. I think it has something to do with the fact that after a tape plays in my vcr, it rewinds and then turns the tv off. a tape got stuck and I got it out but now the tv goes off in 5 seconds. I am wondering if I disconnnect the vcr if that will solve the problem. Any suggestions?

wrb
I have the same problem with

I have the same problem with my TV.  It is not attached to any other devices.  It is a 43" philips Magnavox projection TV.  I am told there are animber of things that could cause this and to call in an expert to fix it. 

It shuts off 5 seconds after I turn it on. 

wrb
I have the same problem with

I have the same problem with my TV.  It is not attached to any other devices.  It is a 43" philips Magnavox projection TV.  I am told there are animber of things that could cause this and to call in an expert to fix it. 

It shuts off 5 seconds after I turn it on. 

DevAdmin
my sharp tv does the same

my sharp tv does the same thing, help is needed.

lloyd ray
This is caused by a blocked

This is caused by a blocked or defective tape sensor.either the right sensor or the center emitter. If You tape the center sensor [prism] on a working vcr you will find that it will shut down within 5 to 10 seconds.

wrb
I had a Tv Tech take a look

I had a Tv Tech take a look at mine (43" Phillps Magnavox, 3yrs old) and was tod that the most probable cause is the SBC board.  This cost approx. $400 & does not include a service call of $85 or the labor.

I have already paid the $85.00, just for him to sit there & cut the TV on & off several times.

Was told that this may or may not be the actual problem & it is really a trial & error thing.  In the meantime I would have to pay for each & every part replaced until the problem is found.

Does this sound like these so called techs know what they are doing????

Larry Dillon
NO, A true tech doesnt guess,

NO, A true tech doesnt guess, or at least admit it.  We are in theis line of work to make money, not to guess and rip off the customer.  You should try and find your owners manual and find the service number to call to find a factory authorized repair person who knows what they are doing with these sets.  If this person you called was a factory authorized agent, They should not be!  Hope yo can find a good tech to assist you in your repair. Good Luck.  Oh and please let us know if you find anything about your set, it may help another peep.  Sealed

gaselyne
I have had this problem twice

I have had this problem twice before. Each time I knew someone who, in a matter of seconds, stuck their hand in the vhs slot of the tv, fiddled with something, and fixed the issue. Unfortunately I never asked to be shown how to fix the issue. Wish someone here could explain!

gaselyne
I have had this problem twice

I have had this problem twice before. Each time I knew someone who, in a matter of seconds, stuck their hand in the vhs slot of the tv, fiddled with something, and fixed the issue. Unfortunately I never asked to be shown how to fix the issue. Wish someone here could explain!

Larry Dillon
This is caused by a blocked

This is caused by a blocked or defective tape sensor.either the right sensor or the center emitter. If You tape the center sensor [prism] on a working vcr you will find that it will shut down within 5 to 10 seconds. or the tape basket is out of alighnment

Larry Dillon
Make sure nothing is stuck or

Make sure nothing is stuck or blocking the basket from resetting sll the way. other then unplugging a few times to see if it resets I'm really not sure?

Richman
I just bought a used 19"

I just bought a used 19" Magnavox/Philips TV/VCR combo that will not stay on for more than 5 or 6 seconds. I was about to give up on it when I decided to try a VCR tape to see what would happen. Well, the tape played fine. The good news is that when I stopped the movie, the TV stayed on and didn't shut off. So, try playing a VCR tape and then just stop it to see if the TV works normally. Good luck.

Richman
Try inserting a VCR tape and

Try inserting a VCR tape and playing it for a minute. Then, stop the tape, leave it in the TV and use the TV normally. It seems to work for me. Good luck

anton figg
was this issue ever solved, I

was this issue ever solved, I now have the same issue exactly.

guest159
I had the same problem on a

I had the same problem on a cheap brand TV/DVD/VCR Combo. I was able to keep the TV from shutting off by putting in a VHS tape and leaving it in. All functions work with this. Problem is in the VHS circuit.

Connect With Techlore