color loss

13 posts / 0 new
Last post
alphonso
color loss

My Toshiba sd 2800 dvd player has lost its color. the reds appear green. A good example is that when we watch Sesame Street, sweet Elmo is green instead of bright red. Is my player shot or is it something that can be corrected by using the remote control??

LolaPotter
My Sharp has sort of the same

My Sharp has sort of the same ailment - cannot get the color right. Did you get an answer to this?

Tanya_ct2
I also just lost all the red

I also just lost all the red on my DVD picture -- it is all green. Did you ever figure this out?

Matt Whitlock
Since everyone's troubles

Since everyone's troubles seems to be with a DVD player, it may be reasonable to assume you're all connected using component video. If this is the case, this article may provide a solution:

http://www.techlore.com/article/10561/

Tanya_ct2
Hi there! Thanks for the

Hi there! Thanks for the quick input. I read the article and I'm not sure that this is the problem. Let me expand:
We just bought a Grand Sony 60" Wega (it's awesome!!); anyway, we have an Onkyo receiver & an Onkyo DVD player. When we got the TV, we hooked everything up with the right digital and analog cables & the picture was crystal clear on the HD channels and pretty great on DVDs. The DVD picture could be better with an HDMI connection but we don't have one yet. So, everything was great; I watched a DVD one evening and the picture was fine. Then I turned it on the next day and the picture had no red tones -- it was all green. Two things may have happened:
I fell asleep while the DVD player ran all night & possibly overheated (would this cause the picture to go green?) OR I reset something on one of the remotes (probably the one for the DVD player/Receiver) by accident because I'm still getting used to what all the buttons do. So, now I can't seem to get the picture to go back to normal. I don't think that it's a cable issue because I didn't change any of them since it last worked right. Any thoughts?
Thanks.

Matt Whitlock
Ah, I misinterpreted your

Ah, I misinterpreted your "all green" comment. Like green with black only right?

When passing a component video signal to a TV through DVI, HDMI, or a combined VGA/RGB input, you need to make sure that the TV and DVD player are both speaking the same language.

My bet is that there is a setting in the TV's menu that sets the input the DVD player is using to either Y/Pr/Pb (component) or RGB. Depending on your DVD player, it may be able to output either format through HDMI, so you may need to check both places. If you can't find it, please provide the model number of your 60" Grand Wega and DVD player so I can track down the manuals and point you in the right direction.

Tanya_ct2
Ok, I know I said that I didn

Ok, I know I said that I didn't think it was a cable issue but, after 6 hours of trouble shooting last night, we were in fact able to determine that the red cable from the DVD to the Receiver had somehow gotten loose, removing all red tint in the picture. So, problem solved; thanks so much for your help.

While I've got your ear tough, we do have one more problem that we haven't been able to pin point for a year. Here's the problem:
We bought Bose speakers & an Onkyo Receiver about a year ago and have been hearing a "crackling noise in one of the speakers all this time. We thought it was the TV being too close to the sub-woofer, tested this & determined it wasn't. We also tested the speakers and wiring in the walls by switching the two front speakers and also hooking them up directly to the subwoofer and bepassing the wiring in the walls and were able to determine that it's not the wiring in the walls or the speakers. When we bypassed the wiring in the walls, we still heard the crackling; ikewise, when we switched the speakers, the crackling moved from the left front speaker to the right front speaker. It's a real annoyance because we just don't know what the problem is. And, you can only hear it in certain frequencies (i.e.: very loud Journey or Rush with songs with loud obnoxious guitars and singing :-)
Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Matt Whitlock
Well, I read through your

Well, I read through your troubleshooting steps, but don't see how you could eliminate the possibility that there is a problem with the speaker that's crackling, considering that connecting the speakers directly to the sub (thereby bypassing your in-wall wiring) still results in a crackling speaker. The way it's worded is a little hard to follow, so I could be reading it wrong. It sounds like when you switch the left and right front speakers, the crackle switches with it. Meaning the crackle always comes out of the same speaker, regardless of whether or not it's connected as the left or right channel? Can you clarify?

Tanya_ct2
I'm sorry; you're right, that

I'm sorry; you're right, that does sound wrong. What I meant to say was that we switched the wires from the speakers, not the actual speakers themselves. The speakers stayed where they were but the wires that connect them to the subwoofer or wall were moved around. This is what we did:
We first connected the speakers directly to the subwoofer - crackling stayed in the same speaker.
We then swapped the wires that connect the speakers to the subwoofer (we used the one which connected left channel to left speaker to connect right channel to right speaker & vise versa) - crackling stayed in the same speaker again. We then switched the wires by connecting left speaker wire to the right channel & right speaker wire to left channel - that's when the crackling moved from the left speaker to the right speaker.

Matt Whitlock
It could be a short on one of

It could be a short on one of the input connectors on the subwoofer, or a completely bad cable. Passive sub systems get hard to diagnose since it's another connection you have to deal with... so....

Pull the sub out of the equation, entirely. Connect all the speakers directly to the receiver. If the crackling goes away entirely, you know it's a problem with the sub.

If it does not go away, it's probably a receiver issue, but before you're guaranteed... swap the crackling speaker with a good one, but don't move the wires. If the crackling moves, it's the speaker. If not, reverse the wires on the receiver (L to R and R to L) if the crackling moves it's the receiver.

Found this on DVRplayground: I thought I'd pick your brain first because you were able to determine what caused my other problem so quickly.

My good buddy Yog guessed your problem at 8:31pm, I initially guessed it at 2:03pm (not even 10 minutes after you posted), but claimed I was incorrect. A little credit here? ;-)

Yog-Sothoth
My good buddy Yog guessed

My good buddy Yog guessed your problem at 8:31pm, I initially guessed it at 2:03pm (not even 10 minutes after you posted), but claimed I was incorrect. A little credit here? ;-)

Yeah, but some of us didn't get to read her question until later in the day (after we got home from work). :)

Matt Whitlock
Yog-Sothoth said:My good

Yog-Sothoth said:

Yeah, but some of us didn't get to read her question until later in the day (after we got home from work). :)

I know. I just wanted to give you a hard time since I saw that Tanya posted on both boards. I figured you'd drop by here at some point. ;-)

Tanya_ct2
Thank you to both of you!! I

Thank you to both of you!! I will try testing everything that you suggested for the speaker issue, Matt.

Connect With Techlore