Why I Love My PPC-6700 Smartphone

89 posts / 0 new
Last post
Steven Jones (not verified)
Doug, good to hear from you

Doug, good to hear from you again. Sounds like you're happy with the phone though I'm interested in whether you will be able to track golf scores directly on the phone as you are doing on the PC.

Will definately check out the Turbo Charge battery supplement but I think I'm about to break down and get a spare battery.

Let me know what else you're doing with this and other gadgets! 

Doug Leeper
My goal is to score directly

My goal is to score directly via the PPC 6700 either via the browser (http://mobile.myowngolf.com) or via an application. Unfortunately, my Windows expertise, as you know it, is limited. No java...no application written by me.

The only other gadgets I have been using lately has been the Samsung Q1, a UMPC device and a Wacom Cintiq 21UX. Both very cool. You can rotate the Q1 screen from portrait to landscape just like the PPC6700 does. Full Windows XP OS but the Tablet Version so I can do handwritten recognition. WIFI and Bluetooth builtin. USB 2.0. Only 933Mhz and 512MB but I have no problems with it. You might consider it rather than the PPC6700 b/c of the 7.5" screen. Much bigger than the 6700 for using Telnet to your server...yikes ;-) Movies and Slingbox shows will be much bigger. Plus you can purchase a 9 hour battery (which I did since golf usually takes over 4 hours play) Use Skype to do video conferencing...you have a mobile office.

The Cintiq is by no means an every day consumer device. It is meant for graphic designers...but since I needed to draw golf courses...errrr...trace them from a satellite image...it was well worth the $$. Saved me tons of time as I can draw directly on the screen, i.e. tablet. It is great for demos too as the screen is huge and the resolution is unbelievable.

As far as the spare...you still have to charge it. With the Turbo Charge...all you need is AA batteries. Those are everywhere. If you forget to bring your charger when travelling and you need a quick boost, AA batteries are ubiquitous.

BTW...when is the next Foosball tournament?

wally
Foosball?  Where?  I'm in!

Foosball?  Where?  I'm in!

JT is a foosball fan?  Doug

JT is a foosball fan?  Doug and I have been foos-foes for years now.  I finally broke down and got a Tornado table to practice up on, but still can't beat Doug!  Let's set up a friendly game soon (Doug's on my teamSealed

Satish Rao
I just bought a PPC-6700. I

I just bought a PPC-6700. I think it is a great phone.

But I had problems connecting to my office wireless network, I also have problem deleting or removing an old wireless network. Do you guys know of any how-to sites where I can get help on this.

Satish, I have seen some

Satish, I have seen some reviews out there on other sites but am not familiar with any WM5-specific how-to sites.  Have you tried Howard Forums?

DarthTader
Hey guys. I just got the

Hey guys. I just got the ppc6700. At first, I thought it was pretty cool, but I am starting to have problems that I didn't have with my last phone. It mostly has to deal with pictures. With my old phone, I just snapped the picture and could send it in a text message to my friends. This phone won't let me do this. It does have a lot of cool things that my old phone didn't, but it also has a learning curve. Any suggestions???

DarthTader,  I haven't had

DarthTader,  I haven't had the problems you mention but I have been using an email account to push out my pics from the phone.  Setting up the email is easy enough, never thought to try text messaging as a delivery option.

I agree that there is a learning curve which is why I have been talking about my experience in bite-sized pieces.  Personally the thing that thrills me about this phone is that I am not sure I'll ever run out of things to do with it.  It is a good phone, but also a very useful PIM device, and also a communication do-it-all (email, IM, SMS, web), and don't forget the goodies like the camera, keyboard, media player(s), games, ...

K.A.
Dear PPC-6700 fans,

Dear PPC-6700 fans,

I purchased my Sprint PPC-6700 on Friday and have been scouring the web in an attempt to find a compatibility solution for my PowerBook G4. It was reassuring to find Mark/Space listed here on Techlore, since I discovered it yesterday. The folks at the Mac store knew nothing of The Missing Sync, but I did purchase (finally...a nice prompt, buying this Pocket PC) Mac OS X Tiger 10.4.6 last night and completed a successful installation and update with 10.4.7. Mark/Space specifies that they do support software for this particular phone, and further specify minimum requirements such as OS X Tiger 10.4.7 and Windows Mobile 5 Pocket PC.
The manual lists the phone OS as "Microsoft Windows Mobile Pocket PC Phone Edition Magneto". I've not had any luck getting the Sprint software to load on my Mac--nor have I been able to confirm that the Mark/Space software will set me up, sync me up and allow me to do what I need to do--swap data (mostly contacts and notes and calendar and word files) on a weekly basis (or more often).
Can anyone confirm the appropriate Mark/Space software (or download version/file would be even better)? I've read the entire thread here about this phone; thanks so much for sharing your experiences. This is a huge help. I'm about to embark on a Ph.D. program at a polytechnic and I'm working hard to re-engage in technoland. I used to be a manager in Silicon Valley (left the company in 2002...not much before they filed for bankruptcy) and had a pager, cell phone, walkie-talkie, desk phone and desktop pc. I was a department head and worked with many different professions. I'm hoping this PPC-6700 will help to bring me back to some level of cyber-effectiveness and more importantly--successful in communicating and producing while under tight time and financial budgets. Any advice or suggestions would be welcome.
Thank you.
K. A. 
K. A.

K. A.

I am using Version 2.5.0 of Mark/Space's Missing Sync for Windows Mobile.  I can't say I've put it through all its paces but I am successfully syncing iCal & Address Book back and forth over USB without problems.  In a previous (alpha?) version, I used the Bluetooth connection for syncing as was the only option.  This later version add support for USB which is convenient since that's how you also charge the phone! 

K.A.
Steve,

Steve,

Thanks for the speedy post! I purchased, downloaded and installed the Mark/Space Missing Sync software, Version 2.5.1 for Windows Mobile. Everything seems to be in order so far, but I've not yet tried a sync/upload, nor have I installed the Sprint software (run the CD) that came with my PPC-6700.

Since I've installed the Missing Sync--do I need to or should I install the Sprint software? Is the Missing Sync software supposed to enable the Sprint CD/software, augment it, or make it obsolete?

Looking forward to getting some productivity out of this nice little handheld mobile phone/pocket PC.

K. A. 

K. A. I never even put the

K. A. I never even put the Sprint CD in my drive. I strongly suspect you don't need anything on it. Most of the apps I've since installed were just copied over through the Bluetooth File Exchange or downloaded directly to the phone.

JoeOhio69
Possibly you can help me out

Possibly you can help me out Steven Jones....I just recently purchased the PPC 6700...i have been trying to download Agile Messenger onto it since I got it....everytime I download it onto my phone it says that its not a valid pocket pc document.......what should i do?

Ivo
Has anyone had any difficulty

Has anyone had any difficulty using the miniSD cards on their PPC6700 ?   I have a 2GB SanDIsk that has stopped working on the PPC6700.   I can see the miniSD on my PC using the standard SD adapter but my PPC6700 will not recognize it anymore.  The PPC6700 says that no storage card memory is installed.  It worked fine for the first couple of weeks and has just recently died

JoeOhio69, have you tried

JoeOhio69, have you tried using Active Sync to install it to the phone from the PC?  It might be easier to use that approach.  I think downloading files directly to the PPC is a great idea - when it works, but the Active Sync transfer seems to be the preferred method.

max122
Hi

Hi

I really enjoyed your review very nice.. I have two questions for ya :)

1- How do I import my phonebook from my old regular alltel phone to ppc 6700. The guy at alltell export it from my phone to a floppy with the name phonebook.dpb  

2- What programs do u recommend to use with the device.. or what are the most important / userful programs?

thanks in advance 

max22, I have not found a

max22, I have not found a general-purpose phonebook import solution yet although I have been in the Mac realm so I suspect I would have a more limited set of options than PC users.  I am not familiar with the .dpb format although Sprint apparently is offering a web-based service for downloading/synchronizing address book info - you might try tracking that down.

In terms of useful apps, I've tried to lay out in this thread the apps I have found useful both for work and play.  Specifically the best app is Sling's Sling Player Mobile just because it really shows off the power of high-speed data networks, two-way control, and streaming TV!!!

I do still occasionally use the phone for IM and email.  I also found a great Google Earth-like app called Virtual Earth Mobile that blew me away.  Do you have any specific functions you'd like to accomplish?

RAVE
Ok, for some who didnt

Ok, for some who didnt believe in PDAs and felt that if you needed them, you didnt have a brain, I must say that this phone rocks!  My girlfriend is a former PDA freak and when our former Sprint Contract was about to expire, it was her who suggested this phone.  I was ready to just get a Razor or some piece of crap like that but she insisted and therefore I said ok.  This Phone does just about everything that my PC does with some exceptions of course.   It has its pros and cons. I have yet to have any kind of electronic device that "does it all" but this thing is as close as you can get!!

Pros:  Windows Platform, very versatile to reminding me of appointments and meetings, syncs to my computer and easy to navigate.  Windows Media player already installed.  Voice dialing never makes a mistake unless you are in a loud area, You can also use the voice command to start and open applications which amazes all my friends.  Picture and video are very convenient to use although the quality isnt the best.  I bought memory card and put all my songs on my phone and now I can listen to my library at will, whether on the earbuds or on my charger on the speaker.  Contacts have a lot of places you can put multiple numbers as well as email addresses, etc.  You can also add a picture for picture ID.

Cons:  A bit bulky but fits good in your hand during a phone call.   Speakerphone pretty much sucks.  Tinny sound and low.  You have to continuously lock the phone or else you will most likely hit one of the talk keys and dial someones phone and never know that youre on a phone call. The other person will hear everything.  (This got me in trouble with my girlfriend once!)  If you dont get a memory car this phone will get slower and slower running applications the more you add programs to it.  The infrared window is placed in the wrong place. It should have been placed on the top of the phone for better placement.  Styling on the phone is very bland as well as utilitarian.  I wish the phone had a better look to it. Forget about trying to look at the screen in the sunlight, it just disappears!  You need to download 'Magic Button' otherwise you will have programs running in the background and not even know it which will eventually slow down your phone in many ways.  Takes way too much time charging the battery.

Those cons can be rectified if you are tech savvy. (Thank God for my girlfriend! She remedied most of those for me!)

As far as surfing the net, you can access ALMOST all websites with no problem. Notice I put almost in caps??  I had a problem with some websites and whenever I went to those websites, my phone would freeze and I would have to do a 'soft reset'.  I even returned the first PPC 6700 I received from Sprint because I thought it was defective.  It wasnt. Sprint gave me a new PPC 6700 within a week and the same thing happened.  My girlfriend found out that some websites that have 'FLASH' and very intricate programs are too much for the brower on the PPC 6700 and not compatible.  In order to access those websites you need to type in a different way. WWW wont work and you have to type another form of accessing the net.  I forgot what it is and when I ask my girlfriend I will post it up here for those of you who are experiencing the same thing.

All in all, I am getting more and more connected to this phone and now that I bought a 2GB flash memory card, I am even more excited about it.  I already have convinced two of my friends to buy one and they love it.

Anyone on here have SLINGMEDIA Mobile hooked up to their phone yet? 

Tenfold
Does anyone have any remote

Does anyone have any remote controller software installed?

Tenfold
RAVE said: Anyone on here

RAVE said: Anyone on here have SLINGMEDIA Mobile hooked up to their phone yet?     

Rave,

I heard good things about Sling Media.  My boyfriend wants it too (he's impatient).  I hear its probably more of a money saver and a good investment than a subscription service like MobiTv.  Sling Media seems to allow more versatility and more variety of programming without time restraints (TiVo hook in allows you to watch what programs at your convenience.

Does anyone have a problem with ringtones?  The 5.0 operating system takes up the bulk of the memory on the phone. I do have a storage card but so far, I have not come across any software or method that would allow Windows mobile to access this directory for ringtones.  What I have done was downlaoded an MP3 editor and actually cut up the song to about thirty seconds then I downgraded its quality which takes up tremendousle less space in the directory that the PPC uses for rings.  Does anyone have any other ideas?

MarkS
I would like to buy this

I would like to buy this phone. Plans and phone really suit my needs. I have one question though, can I use this phone to access my Intranet? If I'm out of the house, can I use this phone as a modem for my laptop and use PCAnywhere or Dameware to access and control my PCs at home?

Thanks.

Mark

RAVE asked:

RAVE asked:

Anyone on here have SLINGMEDIA Mobile hooked up to their phone yet?

I was part of the beta testing group for Sling Player on the Windows Mobile platform and have been a very happy camper ever since. I posted about it earlier on this thread and there is a whole separate site where we are discussing all things Sling-related: SlingCommunity.com.

RAVE
Oh ok Thanks Steve. 

Oh ok Thanks Steve. 

Its cool to have a place to go where questions can be answered. 

Keep up the great work!!

eye_jay
Tell me about it. Can't get

Tell me about it. Can't get any more spoiled than posting a thread to get answers instead of referring to the manual.

Speaking of which, I've had my PPC-6700 for almost a year now and just recently got a laptop. I've overcome the compatibility issues with synching via cradle (finally). Just curious if the bluetooth sync between my PPC and notebook is the same as synching via cradle ? And if so, how do I accomplish it? I the two devices recognize each other but they never seem to connect!

Also, I can upload files to sync onto my PPC. How do I dowload from my PPC's MiniSD to PC?

Thanks in advance!

John Congdon
What program are you using

What program are you using for SSH?  I am familiar with PocketPutty, but am always looking for other suggestions.

brianwah
I'm thinking of picking up

I'm thinking of picking up this phone on Friday. Is there any problem surfing/checking pop email or google mail? 

And the Sprint $15 a month plan seems too good...is this really all I need to surf and check my email?

Thanks! Great site. 

brianwah, its been a year now

brianwah, its been a year now and I still have very few complaints. 
I can't find a phone that I would upgrade too which is saying something
I think.

I just got Bluetooth DUN working with my Mac again (was actually easier than I remembered) and now love this phone even more!  

To
address your concerns, yes email set up is easy on the phone, I have
three accounts I use fairly regularly.  So far, Sprint has been very
generous with their flat rate data plans, I don't have any complaints.

Good luck with the new phone, come back and share.

brianwah
One more question:

One more question:

When you surf/answer email are your minutes being used in addition to the $15 monthly charge?

And...is
there any advantage to the more expensive plans...besides ability to
watch TV and such? I would only use it for surf'n and email'n.

Thanks!

You will want to double check

You will want to double check this but I don't think you have the option with Sprint to choose between Vision and PowerVision, the latter bringing you TV clips, Sirius radio, etc.  The other piece of bad news is that this is (and may still be) the only smartphone offered by Sprint that does not support those advanced content offerings.  I have had the phone since Dec 05 and, despite paying the extra bucks for Power Vision, have never been able to take advantage of the streaming TV or Sirius satellite radio channels.

There have been rumors that an upgrade will fix all this but I will likely have moved on to the next phone by that time.

So, short answer is you will probably end up paying for Power Vision to use the high-speed EVDO data network but NOT be able to enjoy the other spoils that are supposed to be included in that package.

Sorry for the bad news, if you hear anything different, please let me/us know. 

brianwah
Thanks for all the input. I

Thanks for all the input. I just placed my order for the phone and should be here by end of week! I also heard that a newer version is ready to be released.

I'm just going to pay the $15 and see what happens. Streaming video i'd rather view on a laptop or a regular TV...although it woiuld be cool! 

BTW: What do you use to surf the internet on the 6700? I was looking at the Opera browser. I surfed some at the store and seems a pain to scroll the page horiz. 

Thanks!

Pages

Connect With Techlore