Why I Love My PPC-6700 Smartphone

89 posts / 0 new
Last post
dadisloved2002
Battery Pack Pro? Anyone hear

Battery Pack Pro? Anyone hear anything about this program or others? 

Hey...I've had my 6700 for about a month now and think it is an excellent phone thus far! There are problems as posted in this thread with the camera, battery life, etc.  I've got the battery life figured out...well improved its life greatly (from as little as 1hr30min to well over 4hrs+ while being on the internet, phone, etc the WHOLE time....and to about 10+ hours with basic phone use, with the occasional internet browsing and what not, and a day and a half+ on Standby/basic phone use).

I went in to Sprint and told them about my first week of horrible battery life and they simply gave me a new battery AND let me keep my original one!! Plus they updated my phone on the system (which they said would help with battery life as well).

I downloaded a program called Battery Pack Pro and this basically told me everything to do on the phone to extend batterylife!  It also gives you the amount of time in hrs and min that are remaining, among a whole host of other gagets.  I downloaded the free 15 day trial and think I am going to buy....

However, I was wondering if anyone as used this program or one like it and what they thing? Just wondering if this would be best to actually purchase for my phone.

Thanks 

Guest (not verified)
I'll just buy a new phone,

I'll just buy a new phone, Thanks for all your help 

brianwah
Got the phone today and LOVE

Got the phone today and LOVE this thing!!! My last PDA device was a Palm-Tungste-T so this was a major upgrade for me! I installed OPERA on it and  i do like it better than the IE pre installed. Not sure if it's worth the $40 price tag??

The email program is annoying because there's no junk mail filter. I get 100s per day. Anyone know of a good email program for this thing? 

I'm also running off a mac and wonder if anyone has any advice to sync up correctly. Seems to always get errors. I installed the Missing Sync software. 

brianwah
Problem:

Problem:

I can receive email from all my accounts but just can't send any? I read a post saying I must use my sprint email to send email...is this true? 

smtp.sprintpcs.com

and must use my sprint user name/password. 

If I use the ISP setting the emails get bounced or not sent. 

Thanks for any help.

Steven Jones (not verified)
brianwah, I have never had

brianwah, I have never had this problem with outbound email from the phone.  I have setup two accounts, one with our own company's mail server and another with my .Mac email.

So it doesn't sound like a Sprint-related problem...? 

brianwah
Thanks! I figured it out...i

Thanks! I figured it out...i needed to enter the port number in both the gmail and pop mail setting. smtp.domainname.com:25

Now all works awesomly!

Thanks for the phone suggestion works better than I could imagine.

mattcav1
I need help or a hammer. So i

I need help or a hammer. So i think the ppc-6700 is great but someone please explain to me the internet. So i cannot be on the internet and get a incomeing call? I dont care if i get kicked off of the internet for the call but my treo 650 told me there was a call comeing in. Whats the deal. I also need to make a call to completly turn off the internet to be able to recieve calls.

King Leonidas
I'm always looking for the

I'm always looking for the best of the best out there... when I was at the store messing with the 6700 I had to have it.  First off, there might be a phone out there SOMEWHERE that I'd like better, but not to my knowledge yet.  YES.. I've experienced all the minor setbacks that everyone else has mentioned, but once you master your phone, thats when you can tell if its everything you'd hoped it would be.  The backlight, ya but, just tap your screen, who cares, it helps conserve battery (which in this phone you need), and the battery life issue... GO GET the FAT battery!  It'll at least last the day if you "end task" your running programs when you're not using them. 

I admit, when I first bought it, I was frus that I didnt know everything immediately, but now that I know how it works in and out... its nice!  Also, I am VERY interested in the sling thing.. someone holler at me about those (price, and where to get them, and what I need to make em work)

Now for the part I need help with...  My 6700 JUST started not recognizing my 2GB Topram MiniSD storage card.  I noticed when I couldn't send a picture through email to someone, it said I needed a storage card to send it.  I was like WTF I have one, and then I went in my File Explorer and it didnt even show up ANYWHERE!!!  Anyone know how I find it again???

Let me know.. Thanks

Rowlette
King

King

This has happen to a few people with this and other phones. Did you do a reboot? sometime the card can pop out. Also clean the contacts it is also a remedy. otherwise, the explaination has been the speed of the mini.  I am not sure if that is true but here is an easy solution. Copy the info of the card to HD. Format the card and reload. This has work for me. My got diced from Pocket Mechanic form a defrag.  I could see the information but was not accessible.  

LaterSealed 

Guest (not verified)
This is the WORST phone ever

This is the WORST phone ever made. My advice is to find ANYTHING other than this phone! If you install custom ring tones it will ring once and then send the caller to voice mail automaticaly, you can not prevent this. Even after all of the upgrades and downloads it still switches into flight mode on its own and turns the backlight off on its own. DO NOT BUY THIS PHONE!!!! Sprint and UT Starcomm knows it has problems and just keeps replacing it with a new one. I am on my fifth replacement phone going in for my sixth next week. I would give anything to have the time back in my life that this garbage phone has wasted. Only one more year for my contract to be up so I can get a phone that doesn't suck. Sprint and UT Starcomm are going straight to hell!

bowlingballcom
As far as the switching into

As far as the switching into flight mode and the backlight dimming, here is my experience.

As the battery dies, it automatically turns off features.  It will turn off blue tooth and wireless networking, and finally turns the phone off (flight mode) to conserve battery.

And the dimming problem stumped me for a while.  Turns out, if you hold the on button that is on the top of the phone for a couple of seconds, it automatically dims the screen.  Hold it again to change the brightness back up.

Guest (not verified)
Thanks for the advice but it

Thanks for the advice but it does this on full battery as well as low battery. It likes to switch into flight mode right after a phone call is ended. Then sometimes it will switch while entering a new task. It is very random. I am going in for the sixth replacement phone today and this time I am going to skip the 20M upgrade and see how long I can go without wanting to take a sledge hammer to it.

Rowlette
farquhar

farquhar

I understand you are green with the PPC-6700 but this is a PPC first and a phone last. You should just buy yourself a toy and not slam the unit, You are yet or maybe never will be to the level you need to be to use ppc-6700 properly.  I teach people how to use this unit which hacks needs to be inserted what programs needs to be purchase etc. It is a computer and there is a learning curve.  Sorry to say if you are talking about ring tone this is unit is not for you. Do yourself a favor and the rest of us change to a phone this is WAY out of your graps.

Guest (not verified)
good try Rowlettee. It is

good try Rowlettee. It is not that I am green, by far, I have had the phone for over a year and 4 months now. For the most part it works great but the few problems it has are uncalled for. You bet your ass the apple phone does not have these problems. It is a UT Starcom problem and when you get your head out of the rosy "why I love my phone" site you will find there are A LOT of unhappy 6700 owners in the same boat I am in. The newer models are supposed to have the kinks worked out, but not the 6700. Sorry I don't share the same love affair that you have with your phone. I just want to make people realize THIS PHONE HAS PROBLEMS! Maybe you will get lucky and get a good phone but I am doing my job by telling people there are plenty of BAD 6700s out there. It is a crapshoot if you get one with a good OS.

Guest (not verified)
good try Rowlettee. It is

good try Rowlettee. It is not that I am green, by far, I have had the phone for over a year and 4 months now. For the most part it works great but the few problems it has are uncalled for. You bet your ass the apple phone does not have these problems. It is a UT Starcom problem and when you get your head out of the rosy "why I love my phone" site you will find there are A LOT of unhappy 6700 owners in the same boat I am in. The newer models are supposed to have the kinks worked out, but not the 6700. Sorry I don't share the same love affair that you have with your phone. I just want to make people realize THIS PHONE HAS PROBLEMS! Maybe you will get lucky and get a good phone but I am doing my job by telling people there are plenty of BAD 6700s out there. It is a crapshoot if you get one with a good OS.

Guest (not verified)
making sure I get my point

making sure I get my point across!

Guest (not verified)
starting a new forum, why NOT

starting a new forum, why NOT to buy the PPC-6700 Smartphone. See you on the other side in a few months Rowlettee, I think you are the one green or at least in the dark.

Rowlette
Sorry to say I had this phone

Sorry to say I had this phone or should I say I had this model since Aug 2006. This is probably my 12 one since I have a replacement contract. Most of the problems have been with bad loads with new updates and twice lost the screen. ut that is the nature of the beast,  But I said it is not the phone people love but the PDA side. I use it for business - network snooper, pcAnywhere to connect to client server to give support, dates, appointments, ms office, programs to attach to my network open and print to a shared printer on a network or a bluetooth printer,  native mode word and excel files, run my created sales video on my products. Personal run google maps, ms maps, gps to maps, since I need to go to different towns, constant updates of weather for different cities, sling my dish network, listen to my sirius radio on it, on and on,yes and a phone. I do not use ring tones The phone tells me who is calling if they are on my list if not it gives me the phone number.  Also connect the phone via cable BT so my Vista HP laptop can connect to tne network and run EVO  so I can do my work and again watch TV listen to the sirius or internet radio. SO maybe the Apache has it share of problems but it is still the best PPC on the market today but as everything else it will be replaced with a new better model running WM6 and as for Sprint their data plan unlimited access for 15.00  month is unmatched in the industry and no limited bandwith. I believe you are right that you need to start thread so you can sound off. But just it showing the tech people your limited knowlege of the use of a WM5 PPC Unit. I hope you decide just to replace the unit with a standard phone or you need email use a blackberry.  Best wishes Rowlette

bowlingballcom
Rowlette,

Rowlette,

Maybe I missed it, but can you include that list of programs you suggest to use and/or buy.  That list of tech programs sounds impressive. 

I will admit that I am green with this phone.  I use it as a phone and when I am out of town I use it as a gateway for my laptop to the internet.  Outside of that, I want to use it for more, I just haven't taken the time to learn.

Thank you for any advice.

John 

Rowlette
John I will give you some

John I will give you some help a little busy today. My last post should have said Aug 2005 1 year 6 months but typing in the dark is not always easy.

best Rowlette

Rowlette
There a few free programs

There a few free programs that are useful and handy.

Weather Panel which you input The city to keep track as many cities you choose in depth information including realtime images

Auto Clean to fast free up space

DockWare screensaver with time and date plus add your own photo as a backdrop

Net Use to attach to network and setup short cuts to network files

Net Tools - IP address Ping Trace  Whois

PocketPDF -Create PDF from PPC files

PPC - 6700 Hacks  - Reg hacks

SKTOOLS - tools and utilities plus easy hacks

Spybot - SD

TCPMP - player and viewer

TdyScheme Change colors

Total Commander - Reg editer

Map software  Google for mobile Liveearth for mobile   Map4PDA 

This will keep you busy for a while

JC2007
Just sent Steve a message,

Just sent Steve a message, but I figured I'd post my problem here too. Has anyone had any issues with the Sprint software not recognizing your phone when you connect it to your laptop? I've installed the software, gotten the "New Hardware is Ready to Use" go ahead from my laptop, can even query my phone as a modem from within my laptop (And my phone talks back fine), but the Sprint interface is completely oblivious to it being connected at ALL! Can someone give me a tip as to what I'm doing wrong here?

JC2007
Great, whenever you get a

Great, whenever you get a chance. I appreciate it.

lisha25
I love my ppc 6700 but just

I love my ppc 6700 but just having problems putting songs on it and gettin games is there a simple way of doin it if soooo email me plzzzzz

bdp
Hi all, I was searching

Hi all, I was searching Google on how to use Bluetooth to connect to another cell for peer-to-peer file sharing when I stumbled to the forum here.

So I had to sign up just to share my views as well.  I originally had a kyocera 6025 and a 7135 then a treo 650 before getting the ppc 6700 off ebay 2 weeks ago for $100.  This phone has a faster processor by far but is reduced in efficiency compared to a quick palm because of the large O/S I think.

Why would someone throw in 64mb on-board non-upgradable for a smart-phone??

Anyway, I've not been able to figure out how to sync files via bluetooth and dont have a PC/Laptop dongle to try.  I did try the infrared and was highly disappointed.  Even to change the TV, I have to be 3 or 4 foot away whereas my older palms do it from twice the distance and further in darkness.

I bought this phone off ebay for $100 because I didnt want to purchase from my carrier who wont insure them, I have read Horror and horror with these phones and my biggest fear is the dreaded cannot locate modem when trying to place a call.  The 7135 had a modem problem as well and also an exploding battery recall but I still have my original phone from 2001 and it still functions just not a-gps or e911 compatible. 

The phone side sucks, bad speakerphone, terrible earpiece terrible application.  The screen seems nice and solid, very vivid and colorful with excellent battery life.

I use mine for daily game playing, occasional video/movie watching, and daily wifi.  I absolutely hate mobile 5 because EVERYTHING is hard to do.  Its like they started developing a nice portable software, then just slapped it all together at the last minute.  I have to get 10+ apps just to assist me with daily chores especially exiting applications.  I have a carPC as well and I was able to throw it together in about an hour with GPS and all - and its never crashed, extremely well layed out with everything you need (in the car) at a touch of a button - even video webcam recording.  Altho the carpc is more compared to a palm than Windows but still.

Camera mode does suck but I like the different modes available with panoramic and sport, I can take 30 pictures in 15 seconds or less just like an expensive manual film camera - some people could appreciate that (even tho the quality sucks).

My Razr cant send files to the 6700 because systems are incompatible it says.  Impossible to use mms picture messaging on the 6700 also.  Lack of proprietary port upsets me as I might want to have dedicated hardware like external keyboard or hardwired phone kit or even my own custom buttons.  I play flight simulator and mario with the nintendo emulator constantly on the toilet but so hard to use the built in joystick, cant even make a custom controller like you can for an Ipod for playing doom and such with podzilla.  If Ipod had windows mobile it would be the ultimate smartphone oh wait .... its just $700 :(

Anyway, for $100 this phone isnt too bad, a bit bulky and fragile but strong and consistent.  WM5 is pretty stable compared to my old palm OS 3 - 5.

For daily use I use TCPMP movieplayer, VITO Remote control (useless though), ZIP program, Wififofum2 for finding wifi ap's, hitchhiker for more AP stuff, Iguidance for GPS, DAVA2k3 for pictures, Pocketscreen capture for showing others what I am doing, handy weather, softreset, taskswitch, pmclean, pocket tweak, spb phone suite, snes nes atari and gba emulators with 100's of roms and at least 5 or 6 more system type backup and such programs.

I must say, hacking a psp or Ipod is much more exciting than hacking the 6700, maybe someone should throw linux on it just for fun, I've tried but not too experienced with WM but I hear this phone is unbrickable!!   I wonder how much more enjoyable the 8125 is?

Bottom Line in all reality - I love this little brick!  Its so simple and easy to operate, its pretty stable as I only reset once a week or so apposed to 3 - 10 times daily with palm and the battery is pretty good (compared to a razr or some moto product).  Wouldnt pay more than $150 though,  Good luck to all you guys and gals who decide you just have to have one, cause let me tell you - after 3 hours its boring!!!  I've had mine for 2 weeks and couldnt imagine using it for just excel and word related stuff, I could carry my laptop for those.  Lock the screen or use the 1 minute auto security cause it will call people and delete things in the pouch on your belt if you dont.  Made 5+ pocket calls and deleted some messages before I decided to lock the screen.  Be prepared to search Google for days and do lots of learning if you are a newbie at smartphones and want fun stuff.

or save your money and get a new apple (if your brave)

Thanks for listening and by no means was any of this text meant to disregard any previous members' post or comment, just wanted to vent after a couple weeks.

bdp
Crap forgot to add, there are

Crap forgot to add, there are people out there that make bad roms and apps that contain viruses and such, make sure if your a newb searching the internet for a week trying to find free apps - you get a nice antivirus app or a shield to help protect the O/S or you'll have to put all your numbers in yet another phone when you return that one.

Goodluck!

jr2960
Hi

Hi

I was wondering can i usethe 6700 with the wi-fi like a computer to tal back and fourth on yahoo using the ear phones like on a reglar computer where you can put on a head set and talk back and fourth to someone

Thank you

Sincerly
John N Reyor

christopher1979
hey guys how yall doing? uh i

hey guys how yall doing? uh i just got a ppc 6700 i love thes phone but i have no clue on how to work or set up the wifi can yall plz help me il thank yall very mutch

Pages

Connect With Techlore