DVD Problems...

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
DefStatic
DVD Problems...

Its a PANASONIC, from like 1999. DVD-AV110.

Used to play all DVDs just fine. Then one day, a few days ago, it wouldn't play newer DVDs. Well, once I got the last Harry Potter movie that was put on DVD to play. Tried Guess Who, didn't work. I thought, well, maybe it doesnt like the DVD. Cause the Harry Potter one played.

Then I put in Good Morning Vietnam, an older DVD, fine. Put in newer DVDs like We Were Soilders, wouldn't read them. Says NO DISC. Put back in the Good Morning Veitnam, fine, reads the disc. Same with CDs.

So yeah, hoping there is something that can be done. Took it apart to see if it needed cleaning (like what happens with the PS2's), looked fine to me.

Matt Whitlock
A DVD player from 1999 is

A DVD player from 1999 is from the early years of DVDs, and more specifically, the way DVDs were made. I can remember the phone calls when the movie "The Matrix" came out, so many players from the 97-99 model years couldn't read it.

Problems like these can often be fixed with a firmware update. Of course, this assumes that Panasonic has a firmware update available for your player. The only way you'll know for sure is to go through Panasonic's support channels.

Another possibility is that your player is having a hard time reading dual-layer DVDs, which means it's time to replace.

If it only needs an update, there is the problem of cost. Sending your player to Panasonic and having them update it won't be free, and I would be concerned that the player has gotten it's fair share of use after 6 years. It may be in your best interest to just replace the DVD player with one that is brand new. Getting a nice DVD player will probably cost more than an update to your existing player, but depending on what Panasonic's fees and shipping adds up to, I think it may be a better investment.

Thanks for being a part of the TechLore Community.

DefStatic
I was thinking there may be

I was thinking there may be some need for an update. Funny thing is, it played the Harry Potter movie fine until the past week. Didn't start having the prob until I tried the Guess Who DVD.

I am going to do a few more test sometime to just make sure. But either way, it is most likely in my best interest to just replace (I can only imagine how much it would cost to send to Panasonic, was hoping there was someway to do it in house). Sucks, cause I really liked this player, and a decent new one can be pricey.

Thanks!

Connect With Techlore