Sharp X-Flat TVs, # 20F640

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
bigred442666
Sharp X-Flat TVs, # 20F640

Since the day I've purchased it it's had a problem, and I was informed it was some type of manufacturers defect. The TV, with no consistency, will sometimes fail to power up. The tube will initiate, but immediately fail. Thereafter, it responds neither to the remote or manual button to power on. The only way to reverse this effect is by unpluging it, and then plugging it back in. It then works fine, until another random point where the same problem will start again. When I had it repaired, I was told that somehow it was putting itself in a dormant state, and the only way to revive it was to deprive the power and let the system shut down and reset itself. I guess some connection needed repair...??? Have you guys heard of this, and if so, what can I do to repair it? The shop was unsuccesful, and charged me out the rear.

bigred442666
Ahh! Doesn't anyone have

Ahh! Doesn't anyone have some advice? :-)

Matt Whitlock
Well, I'm confused on a few

Well, I'm confused on a few fronts... like why you didn't return it or exchange it if it's had problems since you bought it, why you took it in to get it fixed after your warranty expired, and why you would "pay up the rear" to repair a 20" analog TV.

In time, I bet one of the repair folks that frequent the TechLore fourms could give you some advice, but my gut tells me your TV is a lemon, and should be put to sleep rather than taken to the vet. Any money or effort you put into the set will probably be wasted.

bigred442666
Well lets 'unconfuse' then.

Well lets 'unconfuse' then. First, I took the TV to school almost immediately after purchasing it, so I never had the chance to use it at home for a prolonged period. Upon getting to school it was occasionally performing the problem, but being in this ragedy old building, I figured it was our pre-modern electric work rather than my new TV acting up. Hence my reason for keeping it, allowing the shallow 3 month warranty to expire, and the reason for not exchanging it. On the repairs, what else could I have done to get it repaired when the warranty expires? Besides that, I was reimbursed, but in referal to my time getting that money and such, I paid plenty. So, although not out of pocket directly, it cost me enough. And, converse of the assumtion that everyone has a surplus of revenue, I have little to no spare cash to just discard my $150 investment and buy again, and would rather spend the extra time and a LITTLE money and LEARN something than just pitch it and give in like 99.9% of the general consumer population. Funny why we're referred to as having a 'disposable' economy... About it being a lemon, its possible, but seeing as with some prior research I've found that there have been others that have had the same problem on the same TV line, I would stray towards no. With all that said, it's hardly a waste of time, but if you or another user is willing to fort the bill, I won't interject. :-) Thanks for your post, and I guess I'll just wait patiently.

bigred442666
Okay, via another source, I

Okay, via another source, I've found the solution. I'm sure someone else will have this problem again, so I figure it'd be good to post it for future reference.

Hi
I can't find an exact model reference to the one you list but the usual cause of this is corruption of the reset signal to the Micro on power up. This usually happens due to poor soldering from the factory. The cure is to reflow the Micro. Care needs to be taken as its a surface mounted IC. If the chassis number is anywhere on the set and you let me know the chassis type i will have access to the service manual etc.
Cheers
Mick

bigred442666
Now that I know the fix, I

Now that I know the fix, I need the service manual so I can locate the problem area. Does anyone know where I can obtain a cost-free copy of this? Or, better yet, does anyone know where this problem may be located? Does anyone have a possible description of where I can find this IC?

Connect With Techlore