MP3 Player = PC Power failure - I give up...pls HELP !

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
Katz
MP3 Player = PC Power failure - I give up...pls HELP !

I have an MPIO FL-100 (memory-512)that seems to be working normally...although I have yet to download any mp3's, it turns on, plays radio;sample tracks etc...BUT when I plug it in to my computer, the whole computer shuts down. I use Windows XP, I dont get any alerts or anything regarding the power loss....I have tried different hub ports, works fine for my other gadgets; minidisc,camera,palm etc...I have also hooked it up to my friends computer...it wouldn't recognize the device, I think because it's a bit older and needed the available patch....but the power was fine....Either way I'm coming close to smashing things.... :) ...anyone can help?

Matt Whitlock
Here's a few ideas:-Make sure

Here's a few ideas:

-Make sure you've downloaded and installed the latest firmware in your player.

-If you're running SP2, make sure you've installed the SP2 device driver.

-Plug the player into a different computer's USB port. Report what happens.

-Make sure you're not using any extension cables, and plug the device directly into one of the USB ports connected directly to the main board. Report what happens.

You can download those files here: http://www.mpioamerica.com/support/fl...

Katz
Ok...so I double checked that

Ok...so I double checked that I have all the firmware and the SP2 device driver. Plugged it in, lost power..This time I also noticed that I dont even have to turn the mp3 player on. As soon as I attach the usb cord to the player computer instantly dies.
Plugged the player into another port/another computer, also w/ windows xp-sp2 everything was fine besides an alert of unrecognized device...(hadn't downloaded the driver etc...)

Matt Whitlock
I ran into a similar problem

I ran into a similar problem on a different PC, except it was with an iPod mini. As soon as it was plugged in, the computer would shut off instantly.

Unfortunately, I never got a chance to exactly diagnose the problem since it wasn't my hardware. Though I later heard he was able to plug it in by adding an USB PCI card to the motherboard. This tells me it may be a motherboard related problem. Since it works in another computer, you at least know it is not a problem with the player itself.

I hope you keep us up-to-date with your progress.

Connect With Techlore