Gateway Plasma TV

2 posts / 0 new
Last post
birdnord
Gateway Plasma TV

Help!

I've had my Gateway 42" plasma tv for less than 3 years and it just flopped yesterday. When I called the service number I was told that it is more than likely the image board. Here's the catch: $49.99 for diagnostic, $200 service call, $250 labor, and the part is $475. I would install the part myself, but they will only sell it to their distributor, which will only sell to an authorized tech. Is their anything else that I can do to avoid having to pay through the ears? Thanks in advance.

Matt Whitlock
birdnord,I don't envy you

birdnord,

I don't envy you right now, for you're faced with a terrible decision. $975 total to fix a three year old plasma... ouch.

My advice: if it's an EDTV, I wouldn't bother. if it's an HDTV, then you probably should. EDTV's can be replaced by similar products for not much more than 1000 bucks, and at least then you'll have a new warranty. HDTV plasmas are still in the 2000 to 2500 range for something of "decent" quality.

This is also one of the reasons why I recommend extended warranties on plasmas. I'm not saying failures are common, but when there is a problem, they are normally really expensive to fix.

I wouldn't recommend installing any parts yourself. Plasma TVs are super sensitive, and if the tech screws up, it's his fault and has to pay for damages. Plus, it's the only way Gateway will warranty the part, and trust me, you want that part warranted.

Let us know whay you decide to do.

Connect With Techlore