Flash drive or Travel Drive

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
hangman
Flash drive or Travel Drive

USB travel storage or Flash drives? Which is the best for just using as
a backup, transfer files, etc. I am planning on picking up a 4Gb with 2.0
USB connector included, and am using a HP Pavilion, 200Gb HD and 1Gb Memory.
I await all comments and recommendations.

Matt Whitlock
To be clear, a flash drive is

To be clear, a flash drive is a form of travel storage, so I think you want to know the ups and downs between a micro-hard drive and a flash drive.

Flash drives are based on non-volatile solid state memory, so all of your data is stored on a memory chip as opposed to a magnetic hard drive. You'll find that flash drives can take a ton of abuse and still be fine, they're typically faster than micro-hard drives, and smaller in size. On the other hand, most flash drives are limited in capacity, and they get really pricey once you get past 1GB.

Think about it this way, if you really need the capacity, a travel micro hard drive is the way to go, but you'll have to put up with the fact that they are slower than flash memory and can't take as much abuse. If you don't need th capacity, a 1GB travel flash drive is a great value when you pick it up on sale, and it will be a workhorse for years to come.

hangman
Thanks Matt, my guess

Thanks Matt, my guess preceeded your reply. I did pick up a 1GB Flash drive and it works very well indeed.

Connect With Techlore