faint red bands on edtv with prog scan dvd

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
timhoenig
faint red bands on edtv with prog scan dvd

Thanks in advance for any troubleshooting help on this topic.

I recently switched to a prog scan dvd player (Sony DAV-FX10) - hooked up with component video to Panasonic EDTV (TH-42PWD6UY). I used monster cable from the tv coupled to radioshack gold component video cables to the dvd player and noticed these faint red bands (approx 4 or 5, approx .10 inch thick) running horizontally across the screen. The bands were static, faint, and up close appeared to be tiny flickering red dots on the screen - the bands are more easily noticed when the picture fades to black. I removed the couplers and ran the monster cable directly from tv to player and still noticed the bands. I tried my older dvd player (not prog scan)with the cables (coupled and uncoupled) and noticed no bands. I then hooked up the prog scan again and switched the video output to interlaced and the bands disappeared. According to Panasonic tech help - tv is prog scan compatable, so where are these red bands coming from?

Tim

Matt Whitlock
Great troubleshooting job!

Great troubleshooting job! That really helps narrow down the problem. When we get your problem figured out, I hope you take some time to help others in the TechLore forums. Here's a couple more troubleshooting steps:

-I can't imagine it's the cable, but try another one if you have a spare. Do the bands still appear?

-If the TV has a second component input, plug the prog. scan DVD player into it, and engage the prog scan mode. Do the bands still appear?

-Unplug the TV for four hours, and plug back in. Try again. Do the bands still appear?

-If you, or a neighbor, has a different prog. scan DVD player, connect it to the TV in the same way. Engage prog. scan feature. Do the bands still appear?

Post back with your test results.

Rondog
ok - so it's not the cable

ok - so it's not the cable.

the tv does not have a second component input.

unplugged the tv and still had the bands.

tried another prog scan dvd player and did not see bands (note that this is a slim player used without any audio).

have since reconnected my prog scan dvd player and noticed that the bands are fainter and something very strange - the bands become more noticeable as I approach the screen and even more so when I place my hand near the screen.

any ideas?

thanks in advance,

tim

Matt Whitlock
Okay... now that's weird. The

Okay... now that's weird. The best (and only) guess I have is that your player is receiving or transmitting some form of interference that is amplified when you approach. The intererence is then being sent to the TV which creates the interference as pink/red bands. Only a guess, but it's the best I have.

The best thing I can recommend is to relocate the DVD player, use a different length shielded cable, or better yet, return the player for a different brand/model that may not be susceptable to this interference.

Let us know what happens.

Connect With Techlore