2 different S-video "Video Sources" converted into a single unified signal

2 posts / 0 new
Last post
itsalive
2 different S-video "Video Sources" converted into a single unified signal

I need to take two seperate video sources (audio input not required) sent over s-video cables and unify them as a single singal displayed image on a standard tv set.

Image stream one comes from a live camcorder.

Image stream two comes from my dvd player.

Let me Explain: I like to make prop replicas and the one I'm currenlty sculpting right now is causing me a great amount of diffuctly in the shape and texture matching department.. I figure a system set up like this would allow me to judge my sculpt in real time as a live overlapped or transparent ghost image over the dvd source material displayed image.

Thus allowing me to judge its accuracy and fix any and all inaccuracys in real time.

I bought this device called an "HD System Selector" from Gamestop. It allows you to switch between 4 seperate video input sources by pressing a button. This is so you can switch between say your S-video hooked up Xbox or your Gamecube or your PS2 with only one s-video output going into the tv.

Xbox would be button one, Gamecube button two.

I hooked up both my camcorder and my dvd to this device. The dvd player was hooked up to input channel 1, and the camcorder was hooked up to input channel 2. I pressed in both buttons at once. The dvd player video signal remained nice clean and static as I wanted. But the camcorder image danced around transparently all over the TV screen. I like the transparent nature of the camcorders sinal feed, but I want it to remain static and not jumpy and distorted.

How can I do this so the camcorder image doesnt dance around. I'm not tech savy. Some video repair guy said too look up DS scramblers and video edditors, but google gives me nothing remotely like what I'm looking for.

He said that I need hardware that will take these two seperate singals and unify them as one, and honestly I want to do this so it works on a TV set not a computer.
I dont have a video capture card and I like using the tv in my sculpt den.. Please tell me you folks have a solution. Thanks

Matt Whitlock
itsalive, I have to say, you

itsalive,

I have to say, you certainly took a creative approach to your problem. The problem you're facing is that the TV is getting confused with the presence of two sync signals. I'm acually surprised that only one of the signals started going crazy, normally both would.

There are solutions to your problem, as there are both hardware and software solutions designed to do what you're looking for. These are known as video mixers or professional video editing suites.

Unfortunately, these products really are not targeted to consumers, and most of them are a bit on the pricey side. It's up to you if you're going to find the cost to be worth it.

A few software programs you could look at include:

Pinnacle Avid Liquid 7

Adobe Premiere Pro.

An example of hardware that may work would be the V-4 Video Mixer with Effects.

I hope this gets you on the right track.

Connect With Techlore