Sony Home Theatre - dvd/cd works - no sound from TV

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
Max
Sony Home Theatre - dvd/cd works - no sound from TV

I hooked up a Sony DVD Home Theatre System (DAV-DZ100) for a friend. The cd/dvds when played have great sound - yet there is NO sound when I switch over to tv.

He has basic cable - no cable box - cable is hokked directly to his television.

I used a set of wires (red. white, yellow) Gold Series A/V Cable @ RadioShack between the home theatre and the tv.

I am at a loss - please tell me it's something simple.

Thanks

Matt Whitlock
Here are some thoughts:1.

Here are some thoughts:

1. Make sure that you plugged the cables into an output on the back of the TV.

2. Make sure the home theater system on the correct input.

3. Check in the setup menu on the set and look for an option in the audio section to engage the TV's audio output.

4. Many TVs won't output sound unless the internal TV speakers are disabled.

5. Make sure that the output on the TV is set to fixed and not variable.

If you can provide the make and model of the TV, I may be able to provide more specific instructions.

eesmdt
I have had a DAV S400 system

I have had a DAV S400 system for about 3 years and used it without problem. Until recently when it was moved and re-installed. Now it will only play dvd's through the headphone soundfield or using the tv speakers.
I have checked and re-checked the cabling with no results.

Larry Dillon
We need a little more info

We need a little more info please. What type of jacks or plugs you using, the type of tv and what types of inputs and outputs as well as the plug type you using (scart,hdmi,rca?)

eesmdt
Larry Dillon said: We need a

Larry Dillon said: We need a little more info please. What type of jacks or plugs you using, the type of tv and what types of inputs and outputs as well as the plug type you using (scart,hdmi,rca?)

The connector from unit to tv is a single DIN. At the tv end it is plugged into the scart connector using an adapter. The tv is relatively old, CRT, 25in with 2x Scart sockets. The Home Theatre system has audio jacks which are also plugged into the tv using the scart adapter. They have also been plugged in via the AV3 jacks at the front of the tv with the same result of no surround and the unit stuck on the headphone setting.

Larry Dillon
Try taking a direct line

Try taking a direct line output from the TV set into an AV input on the reciver. Make sure you switch the reciver to the proper modes. If that works then theres a miscompadability between all the adapters you are using, as on some setups, the unit will not work correctly with all differant plug setups made to fit into jacks and plugs Via adaptors. let us know how you made out.

eesmdt
Larry Dillon said: Try taking

Larry Dillon said: Try taking a direct line output from the TV set into an AV input on the reciver. Make sure you switch the reciver to the proper modes. If that works then theres a miscompadability between all the adapters you are using, as on some setups, the unit will not work correctly with all differant plug setups made to fit into jacks and plugs Via adaptors. let us know how you made out.

Hi,    The direct line route has already been tried . The result is that the dvds will play through the tv speakers only. The subwoofer and surround speakers are silent.                                                         The problem appears to be the sound field setting or mode as you describe it on the home theatre unit. Which, for some reason, cannot be changed from headphone mode. I was wondering whether there is an access code I can use on the remote control to access the engineers set up menu and change it that way.

Larry Dillon
If the DVD is playing through

If the DVD is playing through the tv set only, then theres a mixup between an input or output somewhere.  Remeber output from tv set, to input on back of the receiver.  There is no engineering mode that I know of.  Sounds like a tape monitor is on somewhere on the receiver. Have you tryed to unplug the reciver for a good 12 hours or so?  When I say reciver I mean the home theater amp unit, not the TV receiver.

Dollar
I am also facing similar

I am also facing similar issues, tried all options listed above, no luck

Connect With Techlore