I Have the Top Ten Best Gadgets (Minus 1)

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
Steven Jones
I Have the Top Ten Best Gadgets (Minus 1)

I think I am close to having the best gadget collection on earth. See if you agree with the existing items (not in order!) and help me figure out what the missing gadget is.

Treo 650

- I know it will soon be upstaged but for now, this is still the strongest smartphone money can buy.

High Def DirecTV TiVo> - it should go without saying but there really is no point in having high-definition TV if you cannot timeshift! There are other HD DVR options but none with the ease of use as this four tuner device.
15" Apple PowerBook - there are only two camps of people on this one: either you have a Mac and get it or you just haven't tried one yet. My laptop is over two years old and can still hold its own with anything out there.
Sony PSP - yes, I've seen all the comparisons that place Nintendo's DS on top in this category but I still believe this platform is superior and will soon turn those people around too (BTW, I also own the DS but it just doesn't make the top 10).
Segway i180 - I have to put this on the gadget list. It's more toy than transport and seems to have created a whole new category all to itself. Can't see how this doesn't make the list.
Delphi MyFi XM Radio - I don't think a day goes by when I don't think about how awesome commercial-free radio is. This device has both good and bad points but is quite versatile and is a huge part of why I am an XM devotee.
Sennheiser Noise-Cancelling headphones - first of all, you have to have tried a noise-cancelling headphone solution to really appreciate the difference but these cans are superb for the money. I use earbuds too but for long-term comfort, these take the cake.
Apple iPod with Video - surprise - another Apple product in the top ten list? This was an easy upgrade for me since I skipped over 3rd and 4th generation iPods and needed a new high-capacity MP3 player. The fact that it plays video well enough makes it my new favorite gadget (sorry PSP).
Slingbox - this new device might be the least recognizable name of the group - but I don't think that will be the case for much longer. Most of my early adopter friends will also tell you that place-shifting is the next big thing and noone is providing a better solution than these guys.

So now is the time for you to chime in. Tell me what would make this collection complete? Of course you are free to criticize my existing choices as well...

jacefrey
So, Jones, which device do

So, Jones, which device do you watch video on when you are on the go - the PSP or the iPod?

Steven Jones (not verified)
Tough call, I had already

Tough call, I had already committed to the PSP as a portable movie device but now see no reason not to invest heavily in iPod content. The reason? In less than the week I have owned it, I have transferred (and watched!) movies, video podcasts (nothing really compelling yet btw), Pixar film shorts, TV shows (have entire first season of Arrested Development on iPod now), and music videos.

This is a much more versatile gadget.

Ron Repking (not verified)
What's interesting is that

What's interesting is that you don't have a TV on your list. But with the Slingbox and HD-Tivo, you theoretically don't need one - if only you weren't an Apple biggot and had a REAL laptop that is.

What you're missing is the SONOS digital music system so that you could send music throughout your house.

Steven Jones (not verified)
I love my HD DLP set but it

I love my HD DLP set but it doesn't do anything special - all the goodies come from what's connected to it. I could put my home projector system on the list because that is truly compelling but the fact that I have to use a crank to lower the screen drops the coolness factor like a rock!

Michael Czyz
I know for a fact that Steven

I know for a fact that Steven wants a Sonos. he talks about it lots, and every time he comes over he plays with my controller and tells me that i need more then one (i use my laptop for the desktop controller sw more often in my living room because it is already there anyhow). they don't cost much at all - probably right in the middle of the top 10 above, and far far less then a segway, so i'm a little lost as to why it's not already on the list..

The goal here should be to somehow hint to his wife (or the spouse of anyone else reading this) how truly cool a Sonos is so that (reader) gets a sonos this year for the seasonal gift giving occasion of his or her choice.

Connect With Techlore