Blu-Ray vs. HD-DVD

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
Jeff Block
Blu-Ray vs. HD-DVD

Just read another article on the new High-Def DVD formats (Blu-Ray and HD-DVD). I have to say that it still looks to me like Blu-Ray will win the day.

HDTV Magazine article

Check out the list of companies backing them, and notice that Disney just signed on. Game over.

Still, my question is: What do you think?

For more information on the difference between the two formats, check out the article I wrote earlier this year. Matt Whitlock also wrote an article on the subject that might interest you.

Jeff Block
And then there's HP, the

And then there's HP, the Peacemaker (sortof).

Article in InfomationWeek

Matt Whitlock
Microsoft and Intel just

Microsoft and Intel just formally announced their support for HD-DVD. HD-DVD drivers will be integrated into Microsoft's next OS, Vista.

Jeff Block
Yeah, but..."In fact, HD DVD

Yeah, but...

"In fact, HD DVD's only good news of late may soon be reversed as well. Microsoft and Intel loudly proclaimed their loyalty for the Toshiba format last month, but HP has since requested the Blu-ray consortium to add two key standards to the format--managed copy (for sharing movies on a home network) and iHD (a Windows-friendly Microsoft interactivity scheme)--that, if incorporated, will likely mollify the Wintel duopoly's objections that the current Blu-ray format isn't PC-friendly. Losing those two giants to Blu-ray would be a bad omen--if not a death knell--for HD DVD."

Quote taken from the Alpha CNET Blog.

Matt Whitlock
Sure that could happen, but

Sure that could happen, but there's still no guarantee that Microsoft and Intel will pledge any formal support for Blu-Ray. Besides, how much more can they keep messing with the standards of these formats? If Blu-Ray doesn't finalize their spec eventually, it'll be late 2006 or early 2007 before you even see the first player.

Jeff Block
More proof that Blu-Ray could

More proof that Blu-Ray could very well be winning this war...

Can you spell "desperate"? 

Connect With Techlore