Organizing Your Video Collection

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
Steven Jones
Organizing Your Video Collection

I was just having a conversation with a friend about how we organize our DVD collections and realized that there are probably many other, more useful ways to do this than the approach I have going.

So here is where I am, would love to hear what other people have done with theirs.

First level of organization is "collections". I have 45 DeNiro DVDs (which doesn't need explaining, right? C'mon!) so they deserve their own space. The same goes for all the Coen Bros. movies and Kurosawa films (notice the appropriate use of "film", not "movie").

After that, I like "themes". It makes total sense to me to keep all Holiday movies in one place since I usually pull them all out at the same time. Other themes include Kids Movies, Music Concert DVDs, and TV Shows (e.g. four seasons of Curb Your Enthusiasm).

When those schemes break down, I go with something simple like "Genres": Sci-Fi, Action, Comedy, etc.

What about you?

Ron Repking (not verified)
While I store them

While I store them alphabetically, I organize them in my DVD software based on watching habits. I basically have three lists from which I choose:

• Never watched - clearly those DVDs that I have not watched yet
  • Classic - DVD's that I will watch anytime, anywhere again and again
  • Been Awhile - Those DVDs which I liked a lot but haven't watched in a few years or so.

By organizing them this way, I can better choose what I want to watch depending upon my mood at the moment rather than genre.

Jeff Block
I use a software package by

I use a software package by Collectorz.com to manage my DVD collection, including lending them to friends. On the shelf, they're alphabetized.

I've done nothing with themes, genres or watching habits, though I like both ideas. Do you find that actually provides you with concrete benefits?

Steven Jones (not verified)
I have found that my crude

I have found that my crude virtual organization into "shelves" as Delicious calls them, is quite useful. I routinely check my collections before browsing "all".

Connect With Techlore