Will S video make a dif?

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
andee
Will S video make a dif?

Currently running 3 tv's in separate rooms in my home from one splitter. Does quality of picture diminish with each addition? and..will putting an S video connection from vcr to tv make picture sharper, as this tv is the baddest recption? Hate to spend the 20 bucks or so if it isnt going to help. Thanks

Matt Whitlock
I love your question andee, I

I love your question andee, I'm glad you asked it.

What makes your question a little more difficult is the many variables involved. So, what may be true for your system may not be for another. I'll do my best to not make this confusing, but please ask follow up questions if I lose you.

As far as your splitter question goes, a general rule is the more splits you make, the worse the picture will get. However, one splitter that feeds up to four should not have any major impact on image quality. If you have a 4-way splitter with only 3 taps used, make sure there is a terminating resistor on the unused cap.

Using an S-video connection between the VCR and TV to pass cable from a splitter is unlikely to make any real impact on image quality. However, if the comb filter in the VCR is vastly superior to the one in the TV, or the tuner is of better quality, there may be a slight improvement. Of course, if the TV has a superior comb-filter or tuner, using S-Video could make your image worse. Regardless, using S-Video may make an improvement to your image quality while playing tapes. Experimenting is the only real way to find out.

If the TV with the VCR has the worst image quality, there are 2 things you can try (assuming the cable goes into the VCR first, then out to the TV). First, make sure the VCR is off if changing channels with the TV. Second, remove the VCR from the coax line, and plug your cable directly into the TV. If the difference is amazing, your VCR is not passing through signals the way it should.

andee
Did your test, and I do get a

Did your test, and I do get a better pic with cable only. Does that mean i should try it with an SVideo? as for a terminating resistor? will rush right out and buy one...but what is it, never heard of it..will now do a google search. thanks for your reply..

Matt Whitlock
andee, Using S-Video would

andee,

Using S-Video would mean that you have to use the VCR as the tuner, which isn't necessary if the tuner in your TV is fine.

I can't imagine a terminating resistor on the unused cap would make a HUGE difference, but it may help a little. If the picture is better not going through the VCR, I can think of two things:

1. There is a problem with one of the coaxial cables used in the connection, and it needs to be replaced.

2. There is a problem with the VCR.

If there is something wrong with the VCR, you don't really need to have the cable signal go through it unless you record TV shows on it. If you do, read this. Your other option is to add a 2-way splitter after the wall jack, and connect a separate line to the TV and VCR. You would then connect the VCR with S-video. This would alleviate all problems, and the performance hit from a good quality 2-way splitter would be minor.

Connect With Techlore