Help with Choosing the Right Digital Camcorder

2 posts / 0 new
Last post
MaryK
MaryK's picture
Help with Choosing the Right Digital Camcorder

I'm a psychotherapist who needs to install a digital camcorder in my office to film my sessions. The room is small (maybe 8x8), so I need a camera which has a wide angle lens, is fine in office lighting (ceiling fluorescent),can hold at least 60 minutes of recording, and has a very sensitive mike or can have an extra mike used with it (I speak softly and so do my patients). Also, I have limited funds, although I am more concerned about quality than cost at this point. Any suggestions???

Matt Whitlock
Matt Whitlock's picture
Hello MaryK, Looking at your

Hello MaryK,

Looking at your requirements, just about any camcorder with a microphone input will suffice. I'd recommed having a desk or table mic near the patient for the best audio results.

If I could make some recommendations, I'd say to get a digital camcorder that can transfer video to a PC. I imagine you'll want to keep these videos for a long time, so archiving them in digital format on a PC will save you hundreds to thousands on tapes over the long haul. This way you can back them up to a hard drive, then save the files in a compressed format, and burn them to a DVD for achive.

Doing some preliminary research, many of the "low-end" models didn't have a mic input, but I didn't check everything. Just visiting a store will help you find some. If they don't make them anymore, you can always consider setting up your PC with video capture capabilities, or setting up a basic camcorder and external mic to a video mixer connected to a DVD recorder. Really, there are tons of ways to do it. It just depends what kind of gear is available and how much you want to spend.

I hope this gives you a head start. If there are any community members with some recommendations, I'm sure MaryK would love to hear them.

Connect With Techlore