psp+mp3=wtf

18 posts / 0 new
Last post
gameguy1117
psp+mp3=wtf

I tried to put mp3 files from Itunes to my PSP in E:\PSP\MUSIC, and it told me "cannot copy ... cannot find specified file. make sure you specify the correct path and file name." on my PSP however, the file was there. it played for 13 seconds and the file became "corrupted data". I tried other songs and every time it played 13-15 sec. and after that it sounded like the first song for 15-18 sec. before becoming "corrupted" Is this fixable, and how can I put songs on my PSP?

Ron Repking (not verified)
When you say 'from iTunes' -

When you say 'from iTunes' - are these files that were bought from the iTunes online store, or did you create them youself from your own CDs and just import them into iTunes?

gameguy1117
From the library in Itunes,

From the library in Itunes, so yes they were bought from Itunes.

Steven Jones (not verified)
The short answer is that you

The short answer is that you cannot play these on the PSP. Apple is protecting the music files that it makes available through its iTunes Music Store because of the whole DRM thing.

This is even more confusing today because Sony has just release an important update for the PSP which DOES allow for AAC playback. AAC is the format of choice for music downloaded from iTunes Music Store.

AAC is an attractive format only because you can achieve the same audio quality at a significantly smaller file size which is important if you don't want to chew up hard drive space.

But the key difference is that while AAC is valid and somewhat standard music file format, Apple has chosen to restrict its AAC files in a way that makes them usable only through its own iPod music players.

There is a way around this, although it is kind of clumsy. You can manually convert your AAC music files to MP3 files which can play natively on the PSP. You do this by burning the AAC songs to a traditional music CD and then ripping that CD back into iTunes (or similar music software program). At that point you have generic MP3 files which have no DRM protection but understand that all that conversion is going to result in loss of quality.

Hope that helps.

gameguy1117
But it says they're already

But it says they're already mp3 files...

Steven Jones (not verified)
Sorry, where is it saying its

Sorry, where is it saying its an MP3 file?

gameguy1117
In the Itunes library, right

In the Itunes library, right click, select show file. Drag the cursor over the file, and it gives info including the file type.

Tie Guy
Hey gameguy1117, cool avatar!

Hey gameguy1117, cool avatar! What is it exactly?

I'd like to help you, but you're giving a lot of conflicting info. First you said the songs were bought from iTunes, but they're not AAC files??? Sorry bud, any song bought from iTunes is a protected AAC file.

Could these be MP3 files that you ripped from a CD or, ahem, attained from a "naughty" network. Have you tried ripping a CD in regular MP3 format (no VBR or anything), and tried it on your PSP?

ranalin
I'm also experiencing the

I'm also experiencing the same problem. I've burned cd's (all legal) using iTunes. The tracks have been created as MP3's.

I copy them to the PSP\MUSIC folder.

Start up the PSP and try to play them and like gameguy states on the beginning post they play for about 15 secs then stop. Additionally after they stop playing you try another track and it happens again. If you try and go back to a track you've already played it shows that the track is "corrupted data"

Cooldudecody1234
How do i get things on to the

How do i get things on to the psp i dont know how?

gameguy1117
Sorry, computer trouble. I

Sorry, computer trouble. I tried again, and some songs work, but then the same thing happens with those(they change to that new one). Also, apparently not all of these are from the same place, but they ARE mp3 files.

Matt Whitlock
Can you give the bitrate and

Can you give the bitrate and other tech details on the file? Windows Media Player or iTunes should be able to give you this information.

gameguy1117
I'm not sure what you mean,

I'm not sure what you mean, but it says 6,330 kb

Matt Whitlock
The bitrate is how much data

The bitrate is how much data is used per second of audio. In other words, the higher the bit rate, the better the song will sound because less original data is thrown out. Many auido playback devices only support certain bitrates. Any bitrate too high or too low can often not be compatible.

Songs done with a variable bit rate are often not compatible either. This means that the bitrate per second can change throughout the song to maximize audio quality. Many devices are not compatible with variable bitrate audio.

I think the similar theme here is audio files created with iTunes. Try creating the files with another program to see if they work. Use common fixed bitrates (128, 160, or 192). You should also check to see if your PSP is running the latest firmware update.

gameguy1117
Well, I tried. The song

Well, I tried. The song played for about 52 sec. My guess is that the bit rate changed, so I'll try to find a song with a fixed bit rate. Oh yeah, this one was 192.

Matt Whitlock
What program and settings did

What program and settings did you use to create your MP3 file? Did you check to make sure you're running the latest firmware on your PSP?

gameguy1117
Ok, I kinda fiddled with the

Ok, I kinda fiddled with the settings etc., and its working well now, Thanks!

Jimmyea
Well Sumtimes my songs say

Well Sumtimes my songs say corrupted data but what I do is play the song before it then push Right trigger and It should work :-)

Connect With Techlore