Songs at the same volume

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
grabbyzz
Songs at the same volume

I read the thread on the ipod about getting all the music to play at the same level. How about getting it to play on the same on a sony network walkman?

Bright Apollo
That's done in h/w, i.e. the

That's done in h/w, i.e. the iPod has sound leveling built into playback. It's something that every h/w manufacturer should build into a device, but do not for whatever reasons. Television manufacturers are especially guilty of this, and to a lesser extent, cable/dish receiver manufacturers. Ever have a commercial start blaring out at you during the late-late show? Their fault.

Anyway, you have one choice: re-rip your music using sound leveling during the rip. Audiograbber, as an example, will normalize output according to two basic parameters: as a percentage of max volume or within a computer average for the song. The result is your music, more or less, comes out at the same volume. The downside is very soft parts might get bumped and very loud parts might be washed; think of the Doors "When the Music's Over" being washed during his scream or the whispering parts brought up too high, and you'll understand why some leveling doesn't make sense.

It's where you start, anyway.

-BrAp

Matt Whitlock
grabbyzz, most Sony music

grabbyzz,

most Sony music players have a feature called AVLS, it stands for Automatic Volume Limiter System. While it won't normalize, it will limit the volume output from the headphones, though I find it too limiting.

Bright's Solution is the best one available to you, but it will require you to re-rip your music. Maybe the Sony Connect software has a feature to do this for you when music is moved to the player.

Connect With Techlore