i want a mac

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
Shannon
i want a mac

if i had the money, i would get a fully loaded macintosh. i work in customer service, and mac people hardly ever call for tech help!

Ron Repking (not verified)
I bought my first Mac - a

I bought my first Mac - a Powerbook G4 - last year. I think I'm probably the only person that I know that owns a Mac that misses their Windows machine. I know it sounds crazy, but I just don't find the applications very intuitive to customize and use. Buttons and options are hard to find and things don't always work the way I would expect. For example, in the mail program, you would think that when sorting by author, that I could press the 'S' key and go to all names beginning with 'S'. All it does at beeps at me. Even the video editing tools took me too long to figure out how to use right - again non-intuitive. Perhaps it's just because I was so used to Windows...

Steven Jones (not verified)
Don't listen to Ron, he's

Don't listen to Ron, he's craaaayzzzeeee! I bought a powerbook two years ago, opted for a few of the available upgrades and never looked back. What still amazes me is that two years later, I still can't find any reason to upgrade this machine - even to another Mac!

There are a few careers for which a Mac might not be ideally suited but considering you can use it equally well for all media-related tasks (music, photos, video, movies, radio), business-related tasks (word processing, presentations, software programming), and communication/collaboration-related tasks (email, IM, web, RSS), there really is no contest. In fact, I use it for all those simultaneously!

I now own several Macs and couldn't be happier. I am a recent convert of course but am well on my way to join the Mac zealots ranks.

Jeff Block
I've owned PC's all my life.

I've owned PC's all my life. Haven't owned anything Apple since my Apple IIe. BUT, I might actually be considering a Mac laptop in the not-so-distant future. Okay everyone, duke it out... What should I do?

Which should I get? Dell Latitude? Mac powerbook? Other?

What features are key? Blutooth, for example, seems like a must. What else?

How would I even configure a Mac if I were to get one? What are the core things I should be thinking about in Mac-land?

Matt Whitlock
Jeff, I'd say it depends on

Jeff,

I'd say it depends on how long it will be until you finally upgrade. If you don't need to replace your existing notebook right this second, I'd wait to see what Vista is going to bring to the table before diving into the Mac world.

Jeff Block
Tell me more. What is "Vista

Tell me more. What is "Vista"? I did a quick google, but didn't find much of what I imagine you're talking about. So, educate me, you who are so wise in the ways of Macintosh. :-)

Matt Whitlock
Vista is the official release

Vista is the official release name for the next iteration of the Windows Operating System (prior codename was "Longhorn". Microsoft is currently planning on releasing the OS sometime Q3 2006. So far, all the pre-release stuff I've seen looks fantastic, and it will work with all of your existing software. To learn more type "Windows Vista" or "Windows Longhorn" into your favorite search engine.

I wouldn't say I'm that wise in the ways of Mac... I leave that to Jones. Peter_H is a Mac head, too. Maybe I can get him involved in this thread.

R2B2
I have been a Windows person

I have been a Windows person forever. I got really tired of all the different programs you had to have to capture, store edit, and produce your media (camera pics and digital video). So we broke down and got an eMac a couple of years ago. We really liked it, but the hard drive crashed a month after the warranty expired :>

So we upgraded to a Mac Mini and we love it. My wife is actually using it now for everyting (email, documents, etc.) The programs are wonderful and integrated. It just works. Vista can't say that :>

Richard

Spaceman Spiff
I started off with a Mac in

I started off with a Mac in the 80s and early 90s, then switched to Windows 2000.  When OS X was released I switched back to the Mac.  The stability, ease of use and built in capabilities of OS X are great.  IMHO, far superior than Windows XP.  I have a Powerbook G4 of which I have not rebooted in over a month, since the last automatic update.  Rarely do I find applications that are windows only that I wish I could run on my Mac natively.  

In addition to the amazing OS, the hardware rocks and looks good too.  In almost every advertisement I see where there is a laptop, it's a Powerbook.  They look great. Jack Bauer on Fox's 24 has a Mac G5 tower and a 17" Powerbook G4 in his office. 

Many people are turned off by the price of Macs, but they are actually a great value.  You get great hardware with a great OS. Lots of built in applications.  The base model Mac has bluetooth, 802.11 G wireless, DVD burners and more.  Check out the new MacBooks.  They are loaded and very reasonably priced. 

In addition, a mac owner can save money not needing to buy all the anti-virus/anti- spyware/anti-malware/spam filter software needed on Windows.  Finally, if you really need Windows, you can run it on your Mac with either Book Camp or Parrallel.

Why wait for the next generation of Windows(Vista) when the Mac OS already has it all.  By the time Vista is released, the next Mac OS (10.5, Leopard) will be out and Microsoft Vista will be old technology.

Don't follow the heard, do what's smart.

Spaceman Spiff

swingnat
I have always been a pc

I have always been a pc person.  When I moved to LA, everyone I came in contact with had a mac.  So I got used to using them.  Macs are pretty cool.  But honestly, one really isn't better than the other.  At least from my experience.  I've worked as an assistant for 2 people that had macs that weren't that computer savvy, and so I became their "computer god" lol, which scared me to death since I had limited knowledge of macs.  Macs do have technical problems, and I had no fun trying to figure it out.  And what bugs me the most about macs is that any accessories you want to buy is limited to what they make mostly.  I like the freedom of lots of choices with pc's.  

So, I think you should just go with what you like and know.  I'm sure I'll get a powerbook one of these days though. lol But will always have my favorite pc hanging around first. Wink

Now all this thread needs is a unix fanatic. Tongue out

Jexx
The Mac G4's are reliable

The Mac G4's are reliable indeed, but outdated...the new G5's have MANY problems from my experienc. If Mac came out with a more stable/reliable G5, I would possibly consider it. However, I am too familiar with Windows to really want to change, and many programs I run constantly will not run on a Mac. 

Connect With Techlore