Please help!!! I've messed up my brother's home entertainment system

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
Technologically...
Please help!!! I've messed up my brother's home entertainment system

Please help!!! I'm housesitting and I've messed up my brother's AV set-up and he's only been gone five hours! I can get the dvd to play audio but no video. Before I messed with the cables trying to record a dvd by connecting the monitor(TV) to my minicam the DVD played just fine. All I had to do was click on the a/ch button on the bottom of the television remote (Phillips Quadrasurf model# 27PS55 S321) and the display would click to something that started with a C. It would then play the dvd - sound and video.

Now it is only playing the audio which comes only out of the right side surround sound speaker and the subwoofer at the same time the audio from the tv show is coming from the tv. The tv displays only the tv show on several channels and on a/v 2 or a black screen on front. When I was messing around trying to fix this earlier, I also got a black screen on A/V 1, but I cannot get A/V 1 anymore.

When the black screen shows, sound only comes from the right side surround sound speaker and the subwoofer-the tv audio can no longer be heard which is a good thing I guess.

The DVD player is a Fisher DVD receiver model number JCX-TS750A (it's his surround sound system). He's also got a Motorola MOXI Broadband Media Center DVR hooked up to all of this as well as a Panasonic VCR - which I didn't mess with. He's on his honeymoon and has all his favorite shows set to record on the DVR. I'm dead if he comes back and his shows aren't waiting for him.

Anyway, what I need to know is as follows:
1) how to access the menu of the Phillips TV so I can reprogram it to the C something input get the DVD back to normal. I'm afraid my attempts to do so this afternoon have made a bigger mess of things than they were when I started. I pushed menu and all I get is stuff like picture, etc. There's an up arrow next to the word main in the menu screen but for the life of me I cannot get to a different menu from the main one.

2) if I've rehooked up the back of the TV correctly after I unhooked two cables from the "monitor out audio" in my ill-advised attempt to record off the monitor. The other end of these cables are inserted into the "video/audio in" section of the DVD and since I didn't touch that connection, I know for sure that the DVD end's correct. I can email a picture of my hook-up into the TV if it would help, but for now I can tell you that I have inserted the blue monster cable from the "DVD video/audio in" into the white monitor out jack and the red monster cable from the "DVD video/audio in" into the red monitor out jack. I'm fairly certain that's how it was, but I'm starting to wonder given the sorry state of affairs right now. Reversing them or completely unhooking them makes no difference in the audio output from either the TV or the DVD.

I sent this to Ask the Experts before I discovered that I should have posted it here first. I sure hope someone out there can help me.

Thanks in advance,

Karen

Ron Repking (not verified)
You probably just have a

You probably just have a couple of cables crossed or in the wrong place. Can you post images of the back of your devices? Click on "Add Images" above to add your images and put text around what you have connected to what. It will be a lot easier if we can see what you did.

Technologically...
I got the picture back. What

I got the picture back. What I did was inadvertently run "auto channel detect" on his tv remote which did away with the AV1 input as a selection. I added it back into the remote and now the picture shows.

I'm including a picture of the back of the dvd even though I didn't change any cables there. The blue-banded audio cable is inserted into the white audio in component portal and the red audio cable is inserted into the red audio in component portal. I know the connections here are correct because I didn't ever monkey with them - I just included them so you can tell me if I put the other end of the cables where they belong.

I'm reasonably sure I did since I inserted the other end of the blue banded audio cable into the white monitor out component portal at the back of the TV and inserted the red banded audio cable into the red monitor out component portal at the back of the TV. The two connections at the back of the TV are the only two I messed with. I'm going to add a pic of the back of the monitor as well.

Thanks for your help!

Karen

Can you quickly bullet point

Can you quickly bullet point which problems you still have? In the first post, you mentioned having audio and video problems. In your second post, I think that you said that the video output was fixed, but I don't see any Video Out cables on your DVD player unless they're under where it says Video In.

Technologically...
The video is hooked up

The video is hooked up through the DVR or some other component and works fine. The audio always worked - it just came out on one side - now it seems balanced.

The only problem I am concerned about is if it is correct to put red to red and white to white which since the cables into Aux 2 are the same way, I'm fairly certain my hunch is correct. In other words, I'm just checking to see if I am right.

Thanks!

Yes, you should match the

Yes, you should match the colors if that's what you mean. Also, as you can see from your picture, the Red goes to the 'R' and the other cable (blue in your case, but more typically black) goes to the 'L'. I don't see a 'white' cable (unless you are referring to the lettering in Monster).

What I can't tell you from the picture if you put the cables in the right input on the TV.

Technologically...
I knew they were the right

I knew they were the right inputs because they're the only two I took out. By white I meant the color inside of the hole I inserted the blue cable into.

Thanks for your help.

Connect With Techlore