Denon DRA-400 stero receiver

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
theMick
Denon DRA-400 stero receiver

Seem to have lost the speakers on the left side both A and B, the right side is find. The speaker and speaker wire is fine.

Any ideas of what happen?

Thanks
theMick

Matt Whitlock
Check the wires coming from

Check the wires coming from the source component. Perhaps one of the RCA cables has slipped out.

theMick
I have both speakers working

I have both speakers working only problem it is mono instead of stereo. I have all the speakers connected to the right side. Left side seems to conpletely shot. Is it possible to lose just the left side?

Thanks

Matt Whitlock
When you're talking about

When you're talking about electronic devices... anything is posssible :-)

I doubt it would be worth the cost to have it repaired (though I'd recommend you get a quote to be sure), you may just want to consider replacing it.

paragon9
The Denon DRA-400 has a 4A

The Denon DRA-400 has a 4A fuse for the right and the left channels. If you carefully open the case carefully, the 2 audio amp fuses are located under the circuit board toward the front of the unit. You can see them with a flashlight, and can reach them if you are careful with needle nose pliers. Replace them with SLOW BLOW 4 amp fuses, and you should be set. Electronics in the 80's were built better than today. If your unit was new, you would have blown the transistors, and not the fuses. Try to determine the cause of your failure before you use the unit again. the two most common causes are:
1. Too much volume caused an excess of current draw by the Transistors. Turn the volume down. Remember, these are only 40 watt channels.
2. Too many speakers are plugged into each channel. These are 4-16 ohm channels if you are only using one set of speakers (A or B). And they are 8-16 ohm channels if you are using both A and B. If you plug a 4 ohm speaker, or two 8 ohm speakers into one output while using both channel A and B, then you will blow the fuse. So only one speaker or cabinet per channel per side, and make sure that if you are using both channels A and B, that all of your speakers are 8 ohms or more.

Jeff Livingstone
I had the exact same thing

I had the exact same thing happen after I started using an old grad school DRA-400 after it had been in a box for nearly 15 years ... I rally liked the warmth of the output and was sad to hear of the distortion and breaking up coming out of the left circuit - both A and B channels. This helped me immensely. Thank you!

1 Lucky Texan
Also, try 'power cycling' the

Also, try 'power cycling' the unit. The relay may be intermittent. Mine has that problem. usually, when I'm missing a speaker, power cycling it will pull them both on in fewer than 3-4-5 attempts.

Connect With Techlore