DVD compatibility

2 posts / 0 new
Last post
claire
DVD compatibility

Can DVD's from Australia be played in American DVD players? Specifically, an Australian TV show has recently come out on DVD and I would like to know if I can play it on my American DVD player.

Matt Whitlock (not verified)
Unfortunately, no. If you

Unfortunately, no. If you purchase a DVD from Austrailia, you're going to run into 2 problems.

1. All DVDs have a region code, which is only playable in machines that are setup to that code. The US DVD players are region code 1, while Australia is 4. A number 4 disc is not playable in a number 1 machine.

2. Another issue you'll face is that Australia uses a version of PAL, which is a different TV standard than what the United States uses. Your television is probably only able to recieve NTSC signals. Even if you purchased a DVD player from Australia to play your DVD, the output signal would not be compatible with your television. The only way around this is to buy a PAL B/G to NTSC converter to go with it.

I'm not saying that it can't be done, but you're talking a significant hardware investment to play one show. I'd wait to see if they release a version of the program for the US market.

Connect With Techlore