Palm M130 PDA

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
Boston Dave
Palm M130 PDA

I recently have tried 2 different replacement batterys for my 2.5 year old M130. Neither one would charge after 2 days on the cradle. I tried 3 different charging devices (2 cradles, 1 mobile) and 2 different replacement batterys. The original still works but it doesn't hold a charge for very long. Original will charge up to 4.05V, then discharge to 3.75V and PDA shuts off. Replacements stayed at 3.73V and 3.74V. I have tried SOFT and HARD RESETs and IN-CRADLE RESETs. Has anyone else experienced problems replacing the M130 Lithium battery?

Matt Whitlock (not verified)
PalmOne does not recommend

PalmOne does not recommend any user replace the rechargeable battery on any device without a removeable battery. Here is an excerpt from Palm's site

"Any other hardware modification that involves unscrewing the casing of your device will void your warranty. Some third-party sites sell RAM, lithium ion batteries, and other after-market upgrades. Please remember that adding these items will prevent you from being eligible for palmOne Repair Center service if your device requires repair down the road."

Obviously, you purchased a third party battery and installed it yourself. What are the specs on the battery that you purchased?

Boston Dave
Hi-Capacity #B-8634, 3.7V, 0

Hi-Capacity #B-8634, 3.7V, 0.85 Amp-Hours, Lithium Ion Chemistry; purchased from eBatts.com. It is supposed to be 100% compatible with OEM. They have sold anywhere from 50 to 80 a month for the last few months and I was one of the only returns. I made sure the connector was inserted correctly. I have an EE background, so this wasn't a very difficult task. Also, Palm wanted $150 to do this, but I only paid $160 for the PDA, so that didn't make any sense.

Well, I suppose it is

Well, I suppose it is possible that the charging circuitry in the unit has gone defective. Seems like an odd problem, but I suppose stranger things have happened. That's the only possible explanation I can think of.

A good way to find out would be to use the new battery in another Palm M130. If it works, you know it's your unit that's bad. If not, then I'd buy another make of battery. I know... good look finding another M130 to test it on.

Have you considered buying a new Palm?

Boston Dave
How about a new non-Palm PDA!

How about a new non-Palm PDA! I'm actually going to try and get Palm to assist me with this because, as a Hardware Design Engineer myself, I don't believe that this product was designed very well. I was a light user of this PDA and it is in perfect shape (mechanically). I agree that a rechargable battery eventually needs to be replaced, but I won't be held hostage by Palm in that a new battery replacement should cost the same as the purchase price. Just my opinion. Obviously they can disagree and I am free to take my business (and everyone else who will listen to me) elsewhere. I was hoping I wasn't the only person to have this problem, that's why I posted to this group.

While it's true that Palm had

While it's true that Palm had split into 2 entities in the past, PalmSource and PalmOne, recent events has brought the 2 divisions back together again. The company, go figure, will be called Palm when it reintegrates. It's still uncertain whether or not you'll be able to purchase other brand Palm-based PDAs in the future.

I agree that charging 150 bucks to replace the battery is rediculous, providing that there is not anything else wrong with the unit. I would be interested in hearing the results of your dialouge with Palm. Perhaps this will be a good test as to what Palm will do to service their customer, even if they have tried to service the unit themselves before hand. Is a Windows Mobile 5.0 device in your future???

When this matter is settled, either in your favor or not, I encourage you to write an experience article about this for the TechLore Community. If your desire is to steer people away from Palm, a well written account detailing your experience is a sure-fire way to accomplish that goal.

Boston Dave
UPDATE Final update is that

UPDATE Final update is that Palm sent me several e-mails and I had (2) telephone conversations. They said to send them the unit and $150 and they will make it work, no other solution available, and they value me as a customer. NOT! They understood the battery charging problem, but they would not do anything to assist me except to charge me $150. They did offer $50 towards Palm products for my old PDA AFTER I buy a new one and send in the old unit and new UPC symbol. But no way could I use the $50 credit towards the new unit (WHAT??????).
So I just received my new Dell Axim X50v (free Windows Mobile 5.0 upgrade to ship when available); which, by using their website discounts and finding a discount code online, was bought with a total system discount of 45%, including several accessories (everyone should shop using online coupon codes/discounts). Unbelievable compared to M130. Very slick, very powerful, very fast.

Matt Whitlock
Boston Dave, Thanks for

Boston Dave,

Thanks for giving the community an update. It's unfortunate that Palm could not do more for you. In fact, I'm really disappointed with their response to your issue.

Now that you have a shiny new X50v, when can we expect your full review? Or, maybe a few how to's with what you've learned to do with it so far... I'd be more than happy to help you author any article you wish to write. Read this for more details.

Connect With Techlore