Can a SHARP OZ-770/730 repaired?

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
Wizard770
Can a SHARP OZ-770/730 repaired?

I have a Wizard that is in need of repair. After a period of time it started getting black lines on the display. Can it be repaired? If so, can you tell me who could do it and about how much (US) in would cost? Thanks.

Matt Whitlock (not verified)
Given the description I would

Given the description I would say that the unit is in need of repair, but a remote diagnosis on an organizer would be impossible. If the LCD has been damaged, or the processor that controls it is is faulty, the repair cost would probably far exceed the unit's value. Most reviews I've read refers to the display as being "fragile". I would say, head to the store and pick up something new. You may want to forego the organizer route to something that has a bit more...oomph. Check out the Palm Zire or Tungsten handhelds, they're really nice.

Wizard770
I have seen ads stating that

I have seen ads stating that they can be repaired. The problem I have discribed is fairly common. I am more concerned about the data that I have stored in it. It has "Daytimer" software and what I really need is another PDA that I can transfer this data too. Ultamately, I'd really like to purchase another Wizard (OZ-770), however, they are nolonger made. New ones, if you can find one, are running close to $350... refurbished ones, a bit less. Any ideas would be welcome.

I didn't say that it couldn't

I didn't say that it couldn't be repaired. I merely stated that repairing it could be a costly venture, depending on the exact problem. You would be better served by a more advanced, and common, handheld like a Palm. They have software that syncronizes your data with a computer, and is compatible with any of the Palm handhelds. This way, you'll never have to worry about losing your data due to a hardware failure.

I would never recommend anyone spend $350 on a Sharp organizer, so your best bet would be to get a repair quote from an authorized Sharp servicer. Click here to find a servicer in your area.

If you can take the pain of losing, or manually transferring, your data to a more common handheld platform, you'll undoubtedly be in a better position. I'll also mention that Sharp makes PC link kits for many (not all) of their organizers. If the data cannot be lost under any circumstance, you could see if one of these kits is available for the OZ-770. At least you'll have the data, and can manually input it into any new handheld that you get.

Wizard770
Manually putting in data is a

Manually putting in data is a last resort. I have close to 4,000 addresses and phone numbers. I have all data backed up on my PC. Ideally, I would love to just transfer the data. Thanks for the feedback and the link.

That is a lot of data to

That is a lot of data to manually enter. Perhaps the program you're using can export data in some form of text or csv file that can be imported to another program...like outlook. If you can pull that off then you'll be able to import that data into most of the major handhelds without having to do it manually. There may just be hope yet! Keep us posted and let us know how it goes.

fixit guy
Repairs including s/h $40 for

Repairs including s/h $40 for missing lines...
Goto www.molyda.com/forum

Connect With Techlore