Midi keyboard

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
big al
Midi keyboard

Just bought a emachine D6405 computer. I had a Casio CTK518 MIDI keyboard hooked up to my old computer via a 15 pin connector. No such connector on my new machine. How do I hook it up? Thanks

Matt Whitlock (not verified)
Most likely, you were

Most likely, you were connecting your keyboard using a midi to gameport adapter cable, which connected to a joystick port on your old computer. Most new computers do not have a game port these days, since joysticks now use the USB interface.

The fix is relatively simple. The Sound Blaster 16 has a joystick/midi input like you need. It would connect the same way as it did before.

Or, you could purchase a midi to USB adaptor cable, which would plug the keyboard into one of the USB ports on the computer. This connection would use the computers on-board audio.

For the best possible sound, you may want to consider purchasing a Sound Blaster Audigy 2 series card and the midi to USB cable. This setup would give you the best sound out of all the options.

big al
Thanks Matt Your info was

Thanks Matt Your info was right on and to the point. I think I will go with the midi to USB adapter cable.

gee
Matt Whitlock said: Most

Matt Whitlock said: Most likely, you were connecting your keyboard using a midi to gameport adapter cable, which connected to a joystick port on your old computer. Most new computers do not have a game port these days, since joysticks now use the USB interface. The fix is relatively simple. The Sound Blaster 16 has a joystick/midi input like you need. It would connect the same way as it did before. Or, you could purchase a midi to USB adaptor cable, which would plug the keyboard into one of the USB ports on the computer. This connection would use the computers on-board audio. For the best possible sound, you may want to consider purchasing a Sound Blaster Audigy 2 series card and the midi to USB cable. This setup would give you the best sound out of all the options.

gee
Hello, I have a casio CKT-518

Hello, I have a casio CKT-518 keyboard. I purchased Sonar Home studio 6. I cant get the keyboard to playback beats and notes that i create on the sofeware. I was told by the techs of Sonar that the problem is the external sequencer local control which i don't see any where on the key board. Please help me to find this control that they are talking about and help me to fix this problem. I have a emachine and a midi cord which is hooked up from the keyboard to the computer. Being that my computer has a 15 pin midi. i purchased a midi interface which i connected to the computer where the printer was to be hook up at.

Connect With Techlore