No sound on some channels when using VCR

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
my2cents
No sound on some channels when using VCR

I have a Panasonic VCR (PV-V464S) and subscribe to Comcast standard cable. Just recently we started having trouble with the sound on some of the channels only when recording on our VCR or when watching our TV with the VCR on -- watching the TV directly w/o going through VCR is fine. The problems are that we get no sound at all on ABC, TNT & USA, WB goes in & out intermittantly, and Fox and Lifetime play sound but for the wrong channel. Close-captioning works fine when playing back though.

We have another Panasonic VCR in a different part of the house that plays fine, but it's a combo TV/VCR so that might make a difference.

Any ideas on what could be causing this and how to fix it?

Matt Whitlock (not verified)
Most likely you have the VCR

Most likely you have the VCR audio selection set to SAP (the secondary/special audio program is used to send out a program in 2 languages simultaneaously) instead of Stereo, and the channel is broadcasting a blank SAP program.

When viewing/recording TV through the VCR, hit the button on the remote that says "SAP/Hi-Fi". Select the Stereo track, and all should be back to normal.

Matt Whitlock (not verified)
You're welcome! We'd love it

You're welcome! We'd love it if you told 10 friends about TechLore and get them involved in the community. And, don't forget to check back and join in on some of the discussions happening all around the site!

my2cents
Will do -- now that I know y

Will do -- now that I know y'all are here!

Technewbie
Thanks. It took some

Thanks. It took some searching to find the tuner audio setting and yes it was on SAP. Switched to stereo and all is well. Had been ready to give up on the VCR and look for another. Now I don't have to.

Rosee's kids
It worked exactly as you said

It worked exactly as you said. We have a twin to that VCR and the same thing happened,,Im glad I kept it bec now I know what is wrong. How do I get off the close captioning from the bottom of the screen?

Connect With Techlore