older model camcorder trouble

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
rosa
older model camcorder trouble

I recently got a hand me down camcorder. I don't know how to use it. I don't know if I need a new battery or what.Can anybody help me???????????
Does anyone know how to test the battery??

Matt Whitlock (not verified)
If the camcorder turns on and

If the camcorder turns on and the battery lasts a while, you're probably fine. But, if you want to test it that the battery produces the correct voltage, you'll need a multi-meter.

Charge the battery, and hold the postive and negative leads against the appropriate terminals on the battery. With the multi-meter set to check for DC current, verify that the battery is producing the correct voltage as indicated on the battery. The best way to check endurance is just by using it. If it only lasts 10 minutes, it's time to replace it. If you get more than an hour, you're probably fine for now.

Ron Repking (not verified)
Since you probably don't have

Since you probably don't have a multi-meter, you can take it to a Radio Shack and they might be able to help you.

Alternatively, if you plug in the camcorder to charge the battery for several hours and the camcorder does not turn on when unplugged, but does when plugged in, your battery is probably dead. If it does turn on when unplugged, but only lasts a few minutes, you also probably need a new battery.

Also, most camcorders will tell you how much life your battery has left by using the on screen menus. If you're not sure where the indicator is look in the manual which you can find online on the manufacturer's website.

Connect With Techlore