My Media Center PC and my DirecTV receiver hate each other!

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
Jeff Block
My Media Center PC and my DirecTV receiver hate each other!

Need help. I purchased a DirecTV receiver (no TiVo, just the basic $50 jobber) and connected it to my Media Center PC. I went through the setup process fine, and now both the receiver and the PC seem to be happy -- each getting signal and each with their very own copy of the listings guide.

Problem is that when I change the channel with my media center remote, it changes the PC's understanding of the channel. So, the DirecTV receiver now thinks the "television" it's hooked to is no longer on channel 3, and everything falls apart.

There was a step in the setup of the Media Center PC for setting up IR relay, which is what I think the problem is (the Media PC should be changing channels from the perspective of the DirecTV receiver, not from its own perspective), but there is no IR relay port on the DTV receiver, so I skipped that step.

Is there any other way to connect up IR relay (piggy-backed on the coax, etc)? Or, is there something else I'm doing wrong? Any ideas?

Ron Repking (not verified)
I'm not sure I followed

I'm not sure I followed everything above, but here's how mine works. It's very simple.

My Media Center PC has an IR out on the back of it that I connected an IR flasher to that came with the PC. I then put the IR flasher in front of the DTV receiver so as to forward the signal on to it.

So, when I change the channel on the Media Center PC, the PC changes the signal into a signal that is recognizable by the DTV receiver which is received in the front of the device.

Make sense?

Matt Whitlock (not verified)
Ron's right. You need to use

Ron's right. You need to use an IR emitter that covers or hangs over the IR sensor on the DirecTV box. Few boxes actually have an electrical IR port on the back.

Jeff Block
Duh! That makes sense. Any

Duh! That makes sense. Any recommendations on one y'all have experience with?

Ron Repking (not verified)
I have Xantech IR emitters.

I have Xantech IR emitters. Work fine for me. I think that the connection is standard.

Jeff Block
Just picked one up from a

Just picked one up from a (generous) friend. Am away from the house, but will try them tonight and post the results.

Jeff Block
Okay, so this will sound

Okay, so this will sound stupid, but where the heck is the IR receiver on my DirecTV set-top box!?!

I picked up this unit. It's pretty hard to relay the IR when I can't figure out where to stick the emitter.

Am I missing something, or wouldn't the receiver have to be exposed? It wouldn't receive the signal behind a plastic casing, would it?

Jeff Block
Okay, figured out that the

Okay, figured out that the green light on the front of the D10-200 is the IR sensor.

Now I'm trying to get the Media Center to actually relay the signal. Went through the software setup, which seemd to go off without a hitch (even the part where Windows XP MCE learned my DTV remote's signals). But the Media Center IR sensor (which has two output jacks) doesn't seem to want to relay signals at all.

Any takers?

Connect With Techlore