RCA big screen 60"

13 posts / 0 new
Last post
jimmy
RCA big screen 60"

I have RCA big screen 60" T.V. 1995 model # p52731wk When I turn it on I see a pic and sound, But after it is on for 2min or less. I hear a poping sound coming from the back of the set. and the pic is not looking to good after i hear the poping sound

Tie Guy
Bummer man. Time to either

Bummer man. Time to either fix it or replace it. I'd say replace it since it's already 10 years old. Plus, you'll certainly be upgrading if you do.

jimmy
I take you know nothing about

I take you know nothing about fixing a TV

Thanks anyway tie gay

Tie Guy
I know a device failing can

I know a device failing can be frustrating, but I don't see why you have to take it out on me. I like TechLore because they want to build a community where everyone helps, not insults, one another. In fact, I've been up on this site for awhile now, and you're the first I've seen that has insulted another member for trying to help. For shame, jimmy, for shame, but your apology is accepted.

Now since I like to help others, I'll be clearer about my response to you. Based on many other similar posts I've read, it's tough to remotely diagnose internal problems unless you're actually poking around inside the set with meter. Problems that don't include failure of the TV can be figured out, but it's doubtful that even a service man can make an accurate diagnosis without testing internal components.

Based on the age of the set, it's probably not in your best interest to fix it. Matt Whitlock wrote a good article about figuring out if you should fix something or not. You'd still want to get a quote though, just to be sure. Here's a link to that article: http://www.techlore.com/article/10602/

jimmy
Hey bud thank you for trying.

Hey bud thank you for trying. But I fixed it. Man It feels pretty good when you fix something with out paying someone else to fix for you. Now if I can only fix the color. I have tryed to use the control panel already. So I guess i will now read up on fixing that. again thnk you for trying

Tie Guy
Well... we're all on the edge

Well... we're all on the edge of our seats! What was the problem? How did you fix it?

jimmy
don't fall off your seat bud,

don't fall off your seat bud, well after reading a lot from here and other places, made me go crazy. So I got up and went in the living room and I kick it. hurt my foot. OK not really. some guy said for me to get all the dust from the part that was making the popping sound so i went got my blower. and went to work on it, and i haven't heard the popping sound again. but now the color is not looking to good, can u help me out on that PLEASE

Tie Guy
Let's pick this up in your

Let's pick this up in your other thread and see what we can figure out. http://www.techlore.com/forum/thread/11156/

Eric Daugherty (not verified)
Usually an indication that

Usually an indication that either loose solder connections on the main pc board or a bad focus divider ( focus dividers on the older R.C.A. big screens are a high failure part)
Cheety

Techrat
Another thing that often goes

Another thing that often goes wrong with these sets is that the liquid coolant leaks from the seals around the 3 tubes - red, blue green ....unfortunately onto either the high voltage componets ( the popping could be arcing - like mini lightening bolts) or onto the microprocessor that controls everything in the set
(symptom- anything you can imagine - like loss of proper color)
Unfortuately the best thing to do here is probably get another set, the cost of replacing the CRT seals, contaminated circuit board(s) ect. can be quite high if this is the case.

ANYONE ELSE
I JUST GOT HOME AND WALKED BY

I JUST GOT HOME AND WALKED BY THE RCA BIG SCREEN ABOUT 3 YEARS OLD, AND PUT MY THINGS DOWN WHEN THE TV TURNED ON BY ITSELF. OTHERS HAVE SAID THE SAME THING BUT Exactly when I walked passed it? STRANGER THAN EVER BUT ONCE MY FOOT MASSAGE MACHINE STARTED BY ITSELF ALSO.
IN THIS SAME HOUSE.
DON'T BELIEVE IN GHOSTS

ANYONE ELSE
I JUST GOT HOME AND WALKED BY

I JUST GOT HOME AND WALKED BY THE RCA BIG SCREEN ABOUT 3 YEARS OLD, AND PUT MY THINGS DOWN WHEN THE TV TURNED ON BY ITSELF. OTHERS HAVE SAID THE SAME THING BUT Exactly when I walked passed it? STRANGER THAN EVER BUT ONCE MY FOOT MASSAGE MACHINE STARTED BY ITSELF ALSO.
IN THIS SAME HOUSE.
DON'T BELIEVE IN GHOSTS

Remck2009
The issue your having is one

The issue your having is one of your picture tube colors is going out weather it be you red, green, or blue. It could also be the boards attached to them as well. The best thing to do is sell it and get another since most of parts for those tvs are hard to find and repairs start at $225 and up and that not even them fixing it just telling you what's wrong...

Connect With Techlore