TV does not respond to remote control

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
Wisconsin
TV does not respond to remote control

I have a 1 1/2 year old 32 inch Toshiba flat screen TV which no longer responds to the remote control. Per Sears instructions, I checked the remote's infrared sensor with a digital camcorder, showing that the problem is not with the control (Yes, I changed the batteries!). What could be the problem with the TV that it does not respond to its remote controller? The picture is fine and sound is fine. We just have to use the up and down on the TV and have no idea what channel we are on because no numbers are displayed as we hand-scroll up and down.

Matt Whitlock (not verified)
Hmmm... Quite a conundrum you

Hmmm... Quite a conundrum you have there. Your Sears friend was partially correct, verifying that the remote is not dead is a good start. However, it's still too early to rule out the remote control. Just because the IR emitter works doesn't mean that the remote isn't spitting out garbage code to your TV.

I know, it's a stretch. But, it is important to completely rule out the easy stuff before you hit the hard stuff. See if Sears will let you borrow a remote control for a Toshiba Flat Screen similar to yours, and test that remote on your TV. Or, bring your remote to the store and test it on another set.

If it turns out to be the TV, you could try a hard reset (Unplugging it), but most likely you've got some fried electronic component that needs to be replaced (a hunch considering you get no on screen display when you change channels manually).

Donna
My remote control will work

My remote control will work the tv but only if I stand so close to the sensor that the remote is almost touching it. As soon as I move away the remote will not work. Is there anything I can do to help the sensor or do you think it is just fried?
Thanks

Matt Whitlock
delislea,I've responded to

delislea,

I've responded to you in another thread. In the future, please only post questions once. It makes it less confusing to have all responses and comments in one place.

If you have further questions, please post them in that thread: http://www.techlore.com/forum/thread/12128/

buckeye
I have a Sylvania TV about 2

I have a Sylvania TV about 2 years old. We had lost the original remote and ordered another original remote. We now have two. Neither of them work. Batteries have been changed. It works once in awhile, but usually not. Does this mean that the sensor on the tv itself is bad?

Connect With Techlore