Faulty MP3 Player?

16 posts / 0 new
Last post
Kristal
Faulty MP3 Player?

When I plug my MP3 player into the USB the player turns off, so I'm not able
to transfer any music onto it. I am able to listen to music already on there
and the radio. Is there anything I can do or does this mean the player is faultly, its
only 5 months old (only had a 30 day warrenty)

Matt Whitlock (not verified)
Are you plugging it directly

Are you plugging it directly into the computer, or are you plugging it into an external USB hub?

Kristal
I am plugging it into an

I am plugging it into an external USB cable, I have tried on someone elses computer direct but it still didn't work.

Kristal
Oops should have said sorry I

Oops should have said sorry I didn't respond to your reply before Matt, but I've been off line.

Ron Repking (not verified)
I think that Matt is asking

I think that Matt is asking if the USB cable that you are connecting to your MP3 player is being plugged into the computer directly or into a separate device "a hub" that is then connected to your computer.

Long shot, but you might try another cable or computer to see if you get the same results.

If you're using a cable, Ron

If you're using a cable, Ron's suggestion is worth a shot.

This isn't the first time I've heard of this, but have yet to figure out any good reason why. Try plugging in the device prior to turning on the computer. I'm curious if it "goes dead" with the PC off.

Kristal
I have tried using another

I have tried using another cable, makes no difference.

Tried your suggestion Matt, the Mp3 player is fine while the computer is off, it only goes dead when the computer is on.

Okay, that's good to know. I

Okay, that's good to know. I need to check something in the manual for your player. Do you have the brand and model number of the player?

Kristal
Ok now for the bad news, I

Ok now for the bad news, I have no brand or model number. The box has HY on it, then the rest is in chinese or japanese? The user manual is in English, but I can't see anything that refers to the problem I'm having.

You probably own one of these

You probably own one of these:

http://www.hytechno.com/products/mp3/mp3.htm

Chinese company. Pretty obscure.

Okay, there's one last thing

Okay, there's one last thing you need to try. Like Ron suggested, you need to try it on another computer. If the same thing happens, it's the fault of the player. If it works, it's the fault of your computer.

Which has the problem will determine your course of action. So, if it is the player, I'd first try looking in menu for some options that may be related to connecting it to a computer. For example, the PSP has a USB mode... maybe yours has something similar. There is no manual for your model available for download, so I can't be specific on what you should look for. Also, you may want to try it with a new battery, or with the battery out entirely.

Of course, it could be the computer's fault. I just was helping someone with a computer that was shutting down by itself when his daughter plugged in her iPod Mini. In his case, he had some kind of short on the main board. Many USB devices rely on the USB port for power when plugged in to the computer. Your MP3 player may not be getting the power it needs (unlikely, but possible). You could try adding a powered USB hub and see what happens, but don't hold your breath.

I'm willing to entertain all suggestions as to the problem. Where's all those computer geeks of the world?

Kristal
I have tried the Mp3 on

I have tried the Mp3 on another computer, no good, so that means it is the player at fault. I tried the with battery, no battery thing too.

I've read through the manual Matt and can't see any references to the USB mode or in fact any reference at all, apart from 'USB: Interface with computer' and USB Flash Disk, connect to Pc's USB port to enter USB flash disc mode. If player is connected to PC, but is still in music playing mode, please power off the player and restart it, it will go into USB Flash Disc mode again.
I'm feeling really confused now.

I think I will email the company, as there are some addresses with the link Ron posted. Worth a shot I suppose.

Hmmm... If I'm reading that

Hmmm... If I'm reading that manual passage correctly, I would say that the player may shut down when in "music mode" which is why it may turn off. While it is connected to the computer in its off state, what happens when you press the power button. Is it still non-responsive?

Kristal
Yes, it is non-responsive.I

Yes, it is non-responsive.

I emailed the company but had no response from them, not too suprising really, although it says on the site that they have a 2 year guarantee, I have nothing to confirm this in the manual or packaging though and was told it only had a 30 day guarantee when I bought it.

Not a good sign. Might be

Not a good sign. Might be time for a new player. Perhaps it's time for a new player. Might want to go with more of a brand name company this time. Rio, Creative, Apple, Sandisk are all well-known, popular brands. Here's a link to some ideas of MP3 Players

JedOi
Many of these portable mp3

Many of these portable mp3 players are s1 players with different brand names ... there's a dedicated site for recovering dead s1 players and solving other problems with them over here -> http://s1mp3.secret.com.br/en/index.php

;)

Connect With Techlore