Problem with TV after DVD hookup

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
hanmabookie
Problem with TV after DVD hookup

Hi everyone,

I hooked up a Pioneer DVD player to my JVC television, and now the first four channels of my tv don't come in clearly. The DVD plays just fine, but now the tv is screwed up. Please help, I've done everything I can think of. Does anyone out there know what's going on?

(posting from work--may not be able to reply until late nite, thanks)

Ron Repking (not verified)
If you unplug the DVD player

If you unplug the DVD player from the TV again, does the picture come in clearly?

What do you mean by "doesn't come in clearly"? Staticy image, discoloration, etc.?

hanmabookie
The DVD player(Pioneer) was a

The DVD player(Pioneer) was a gift from mother-in-law. She retained only the power and audio cables. I had to use my own video cable (Phillips) to connect to the TV(JVC). I connected the player directly to the TV, bypassing the VCR. When I was done, I discovered the first few channels were distorted with horizontal lines, some of them were semi-snowy. I unplugged the DVD player only to find the channels still messed up(!) Then, I connected the player via the VCR--same thing. I went back to the TV, nothing changed. I can't figure it out. I have regular cable service, and everything worked perfectly before this friggin' DVD player. If I didn't know any better, I'd say this is a set up from dear old mom-in-law. Please help.

Ron Repking (not verified)
I can't imagine that hooking

I can't imagine that hooking a DVD player up to the TV caused the problem that you are seeing but I guess I've heard some strange things before.

I would try a couple of things to figure out what the culprit is.

1)Make a simple connection from your cable box/cable directly into your TV to see if that resolves the problem. If it does, you know it's something with the DVD player or its connection that is wrong.

If not, try hooking another TV to that cable box/cable and see if the same problem occurs. If it is a problem with that TV too, you might want to have your cable company come by and investigate/troubleshoot it for you. I sometimes have had worse reception on the lower channels on certain TVs just because it's a weaker signal. They can give you a signal booster which will boost the signal strength and make the picture better if that is the problem.

2) You could also try Hooking up the DVD player to another TV and see if you get the same result. (Of course, you may be wary of the same thing happening to that TV as your other TV.)

Matt Whitlock (not verified)
Given the information

Given the information provided, it looks like you've used a composite connection (yellow, red, and white) directly to the TV, and connected the VCR with a screw-type coaxial cable. There is nothing wrong with this hookup, but a composite hookup for the vcr, and S-video or component for the DVD player will yeild better quality results.

I would also assume that you route your cable signal through the VCR before it enters the tuner in the TV. This would mean that if the VCR is on when you attempt to change channels on the TV's tuner, you'll get a problem like the one you're describing. If you turn off the VCR, the problem should go away.

Also keep in mind that you cannot route the composite cables from a DVD player through a VCR. Doing so will kick in the MacroVision copy-guard on most commercial DVD titles, thus making the movie unwatchable. For more information on this phenomenon, read this article: http://www.techlore.com/article/10421/

hal
hooked up portable DVD player

hooked up portable DVD player to home tv screen and it worked fine for awhile. Now the picture rolls (like old fashioned verticle roll)on the TV screen while its fine on the portable screen. Works fine the other way around, tried new cables, different tv, still rolls. Any ideas? Help.

Matt Whitlock (not verified)
Hal, How did you hook it up

Hal, How did you hook it up to the display?

Connect With Techlore