Site compatible for browsers on handhelds?

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
jacefrey
Site compatible for browsers on handhelds?

I'm posting this question from my iPaq (IE browser): are there plans to slim down techlore for viewing on mobile devices?

I know that some sympathetic sites (like Google) have different versions of their pages for mobile browsers.

Also, techlore's dropdown menus don't appear/work on this browser...

rosewire
I can't comment on the iPaq

I can't comment on the iPaq experience because I don't have an iPaq. I'm trying out the site in real-time via my Treo 600 and jotting down my thoughts through my (wired) PC.

Slow initial access, but that could be because of my location or because of the Sprint network.

Ok, login was quicker. Formatting is ok. Easy to find categories, articles, forums, etc. I wouldn't access the site while driving down the expressway because of safety issues, but I'm satisfied so far.

My Full History, What's New: great, no problems.

My Profile: great. (Still need to add bio & pic.)

Top Threads: formatting is a bit different than what I'm used to (member names are centered or right-justified instead of left-justified) but in this case I think it adds usability and clarity to the wireless-based use of this site.

All Forums: ok, I thought the other features were cool. This is just awesome. To-the-second reports of which forums are active and who the lead member is on each? I could get used to this.

That's enough for now. It's a starting point. So far, no complaints. Access speeds will always feel too long for me, but that's true for any currently available wireless network technology.

The TechLore Team
Mobile versions of TechLore

Mobile versions of TechLore content is certainly on the roadmap but we had not thought of making it a high priority. We often check out the site from our smartphones but would agree that it is currently unusable.

For clarification, are you interested in read-only access to the site (e.g. perusing and reading article/threads) or do you think you would try to post new content from the mobile?

jacefrey
Readability is my primary

Readability is my primary concern. The mobile browser I was using seemed to handle the forms and cookies and everything necessary to post fairly well with the site as it is; the browser resizes the form fields to fit on the screen.

GlenJohnson
Even on my laptop, I have to

Even on my laptop, I have to scroll to the right to view the entire post. How about when you go to the forums, the ads on the left shrink to links, widening the viewing?

Connect With Techlore