Trouble finding a universal remote that has a code for all of your devises?

13 posts / 0 new
Last post
Shanksy
Trouble finding a universal remote that has a code for all of your devises?

After 3 trips and 2 returns at the A/V store, and hours of frustration trying fruitlessly to find one remote that could actually run all of my components, I finaaly found the answer. It took a little digging and a few questions, but the final answer came down to Manufacturer's devise codes. All universal remotes have devise codes. Some boast the largest library of codes in the world. Though this may be true, it can be deceptive. What good is the largest library when that claim is based on several duplicate codes from a given Manufacturer that can run several devices. The key is, who has the largest libray of useful codes, therfore having the most "Truely universal remote".
Universal remotes all have a memory chip in them. The larger the chip, the better your chances are that the elusive code you seek will be contained in the unit's memory. The final solution to my problem was the same as in many other situations. "I needed more memory". The Phillips brand universal remotes have the largest memory available. When I found this out and talked to the store manager, it was clear why the Phillips brand universal remotes have the lowest return rate in the industry. They work! I brought home the 7 function device, plugged in all the codes (Most of which work on the first code) and it worked fine. That was the last trip to the store for this project! Now I can safely put my feet up on the coffee table without sending 3 remotes to the floor and sending their batteries in every direction.

Matt Whitlock (not verified)
It's great that you found a

It's great that you found a remote that can work well out of the box, because as you discovered, most don't.

A great workaround many have found is to find a remote with a good learning function. This way if the remote doesn't have a built in code for your device, you can teach it the commands from the existing OEM remote. This is also helpful in cases where the remote has a built in code, but doesn't perfom many of the advanced functions of the old remote, like menu access, PiP, and others.

For more about universal remotes, read Tech Myth: 'Universal' Remote Controls.

Jeff Block
Does anyone have significant

Does anyone have significant experience with a learning remote that would lead them to a particular recommendation (or anti-recommendation)?

Jeff Block
FYI, found another discussion

FYI, found another discussion on this topic here.

LouKel
My problem is I will find a

My problem is I will find a universal remote but can not operate all the detailed options of either the TV, receiver, or DVD player.

Ron Repking (not verified)
To solve that problem you

To solve that problem you really need a touch screen programmable remote like the Pronto. Problem is that these devices are really expensive and difficult to program. However, they're a godsend as far as using one remote goes...

sanford
I have just bought a new

I have just bought a new Panasonic TV. I have Time Warner Cable in Naples, Florida. The TV does not have a code for progamming the Motorola cable box and my husband does not want to use two remotes. I have called Time Warner and am about ready to give up. They gave me an e-mail address which I cannot access and their telephone is a constant busy. Please let me know if there is a way to resolve this without cutting my cable company.

Eric Daugherty (not verified)
For the more agressive users,

For the more agressive users, there are many cheaper universal remotes that can be programmed via a cable from your computer. I think JP1 is the interface name.

I have used this with my Radio Shack remotes (RS 15-2116 or 15-2117) to add codes for my Tivos and it worked great. However, you need to build or buy the cable (about $20) and the software is non-trival. However it provides a lot of power for very little cost, and provides a way to expand existing remotes as new products come out.

Matt Whitlock (not verified)
There are many articles about

There are many articles about JP1 on TechLore. Use the search box for more information regarding this subject.

maillady
i have a bose remote control

i have a bose remote control it will not operate my toshiba theater veiw tv can not find a device codehow do i find the tv code?

Whispering Dan
I just purchased an Accurian

I just purchased an Accurian stereo receiver with remote. I cannot program my Comcast remote (using the "Aux" key) because Comcast has no four-digit code for Accurian. Comcast's "search" function does not help: I have tried to manually enter every code listed in their owner's manual to no avail.  Does anyone know how to find out what the code for Accurian would be on a Comcast digital remote? All I need to do is turn on/off the receiver.

Larry Dillon
Sorry My friend, If you tryed

Sorry My friend, If you tryed the code search your not going to find it or a code to work as you already tryed all the codes that are built in to the unit.  You see if you tryed the code searce , that means you tryed all of the codes built in to the remote and you cant add a device or code UNLESS its a learning type of a  Remote.  Your best bet for an off brand or  not a local brand would be to get a learning type remote . Then you can program the remote from the ones you have and use one remote for all of them. sorry i couldnt be of more assistance. Good Luck

alsdock
Jeff Block said: Does anyone

Jeff Block said: Does anyone have significant experience with a learning remote that would lead them to a particular recommendation (or anti-recommendation)?

My brother has a Phillips Pronto TSU-3500.  I must admit, it actually works! (sort of)... He received it as a gift about 1-1/2 years ago and it truely controlled his TV, DVD player, Receiver, Surround, and cable.  Everything could be operated from an easy, intuitive remote by just touching the icons on the screen.  He was really please.  Then one day, my 11 year old began pushing an icon or maybe two, three, etc.. and voila! the screen went to a german display and froze. He said that he would reset it by reloading the saved programmed configuration file on his computer.  Unfortunately, the screen remained frozen but did change back to his customized English version.  Even after depressing the reset button several times, it was still frozen and inoperative.  He later told me that he spoke to someone at the "factory" who suggested to replace the unit because it probably would't be worth fixing.  He said the cost would be at least $100.  I feel terrible and offered to pay for the repair but he said that it's not worth the expense to have this unit fixed, especially when it was recommended to replace it.  I checked EBAY and they're priced at about $300.

Does anyone have any suggestions or can help get this unit "unfrozen"?  We both tried everything imaginable in accordance with the manual but it's still useless.

Connect With Techlore