How do I know I am buying a REAL universal remote?

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
reneej
How do I know I am buying a REAL universal remote?

My husband has too many "universal" remotes. If there really was such a thing, why would he need more than one. Can someone please explain what universal is supposed to mean?

Is it just a marketing term or is there really one to rule them all?

Eric Daugherty (not verified)
There are two types of

There are two types of 'universal' remotes. Some come pre-programmed with the codes of other remotes. This works well if you have common devices with well known commands.

The second type are learning remotes. These can 'learn' new commands by copying the output of an existing remote.

The 'good' universal remotes have both. The pre-programmed ones are much more efficient (and easier to program), but the learning ones are much more flexible.

One big problem with 'universal' remotes is that they have to be generalized, so they may not be as usable for specific operations as others.

Personally, I have a Radio Shack Universal Remote (15-2116) that I use to control all of my devices, but I use my TiVo remote for the TiVo because it is much more comfortable and is setup very well to skip through commercials, etc.

Ron Repking (not verified)
Here is a good TechLore

Here is a good TechLore article explaining the differences a little more:

http://www.techlore.com/article/10228/

Ross Johnson
Another problem I face with

Another problem I face with remote consolidation is that some remotes are starting to be RF (such as the one I use with my HTPC), and an infrared universal remote can't mimic its behavior.

A good rule of thumb, though, is that "universal" remotes are the pre-programmed variety, while "learning" remotes can be extended to do pretty much anything the originals can, so are not quite as limiting.

Matt Whitlock (not verified)
HTPCs do pose a challenge,

HTPCs do pose a challenge, considering they often use RF. I'm sure there is a way to make them compatible to IR, perhaps by adding a IR receiver module to the PC. I'm sure someone out there has some experience with this...

Guest (not verified)
If you're looking for a

If you're looking for a universal remote to replace an original remote for a sony, zenith, etc. you can buy one from Electro Sound.

for example, sony makes a univeral remote that allows you to change color, volume, channel etc. and it works with any sony tv.

Electro-Sound
Tel 201-945-1117

Matt Whitlock (not verified)
Brian, we'd like it if you

Brian, we'd like it if you shared more about these great remotes with the community. Maybe pick your most popular model. You can write a review and post it as an article for the community. Some tips on how to set it up properly and use it would be great. If you need help writing it, you can get editorial assistance from the TechLore Team. To learn more about this, click here.

Also, if you'd like to advertise on TechLore, please contact us using the feedback form.

Jeff Block
I recently discussed my

I recently discussed my situation in my blog. I would love a recommendation on a good learning remote! Any takers? Anyone got good or bad experiences they want to share?

Guest (not verified)
reply to Matt,I was just

reply to Matt,

I was just sharing some info about universal remotes that we buy from Electro-Sound. I work for a small repair shop here in Los Angeles and we provide these remotes for our customers.

Brian
E.B. Electronic Repair

Connect With Techlore